- To assure the rights and wellbeing of human subjects are protected
- To educate researchers about how to improve study conduct
- To assess research risk areas
- To provide resources to the Research Community
The Office for Human Subject Protection (OHSP) at the University of Rochester requires all study team members to successfully complete human subjects training prior to conducting any human subject research. This training must be renewed every 3 years in order to continue conducting human subject research at the University of Rochester. Recertification training is completed through an on-line program called the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). This program was developed as a collaborative effort among various universities and organizations (including the University of Rochester) to provide comprehensive training in the protection of human research subjects and is administered by the University of Miami. The recertification program consists of several short refresher learning modules with a brief quiz after each module.
Instructions for registering and completing the re-training modules through CITI are provided below. Once you have successfully completed the program, OHSP will receive a completion report via email. You will then be sent an e-letter certification documenting your training. This letter will also provide your new certification expiration date.
If OHSP does not receive notification that you have successfully completed the program before your current certification expires, you must stop all involvement in human subject research.
Instructions for Recertifying Human Subjects Training
There are currently 4 different types of recertification courses available within CITI. The course you complete should correspond to the type of research you will conduct and your previous certification:
- Greater Than Minimal Risk Biomedical - Select this course if you previously completed with the Greater Than Minimal Risk Biomedical training through CITI or obtained "HSPP" Biomedical certification.
- Greater Than Minimal Risk Behavioral - Select this course if you previously completed with the Greater Than Minimal Risk Behavioral training through CITI or obtained "HSPP" Behavioral certification.
- Minimal Risk - Select this course if you previously completed the Minimal Risk training through CITI or obtained an "EPRP" certification. Please note that if you originally obtained certification for minimal risk research, but plan to become involved in a greater than minimal risk study, you should complete one of the Greater than Minimal Risk initial courses when recertifying. Instructions to do so are included link provided above.
- IRB - Select this course only if you are OHSP staff or are currently a voting member of 1 of the 5 RSRB boards.
Are you unsure of which course to take?
If you are not sure which course to complete, please contact the OHSP office (contact information is provided below).
Tips on Completing the Training
- You may leave the course as many times as necessary and come back to it at a later time.
- You must score at least 85% to successfully obtain recertification for human subjects research. In order to reach this goal, you may go back into each module to review the information and re-take the quiz as many times as necessary.
- Continuing education credits are available for physicians and other healthcare professionals through CITI for course completion. Please visit the CE Credits page on CITI's website or contact them directly at (305) 243-7970 for more information.
If you have any questions about registering for CITI or completing this training, please contact Kelly Unsworth at (585) 275-5244 or by email.
Human Subjects Training
Education & Training
- Education & Training Opportunities
- Supplemental Training
- Professional Certification
- Listserv Signup
- OHSP Library
- Additional Resources
- Investigator & Coordinator
- Board Member
- Department Reviewer
- Ancillary Committee
- Quick Reference Materials