Skip to main content

Office of the University Registrar

Undergraduate Registration

How to Register for Classes

Undergraduate students should register for classes during the registration period. Students wishing to register after the registration period has ended should see an advisor in the College Center for Advising Services, 312 Lattimore Hall.

Students registering online are not required to submit a registration form.

View instructions for registering online >

Due to state-specific regulations, at this time University of Rochester complete distance education courses cannot accept registrations from students residing in Delaware, Utah and Wisconsin. Please check back periodically, as regulations may change.

Online Registration Note

There are some browser specific issues that may prevent or interfere with your ability to use online registration. If you are getting a message stating that your 'Session has expired' you will need to clear your browser cache. Please see your browser’s documentation for instructions. Switching to another browser may resolve the issue.


Jump to information about:

Prerequisite Courses

Be sure to check the course descriptions for prerequisites required. Instructors who include this restriction believe it is essential to have completed the prerequisites before enrolling.


Signatures, Permissions and Restrictions

When a course is closed you will be required to obtain the permission of the instructor in order to register. Students registering online should consult the instructor to receive a permission code if the course carries a restriction.

Students must secure the dean’s approval through the College Center for Advising Services (312 Lattimore Hall, (585) 275-2354) if they wish to register for graduate courses (400 or 500 level) or Independent Studies (390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395).

All undergraduates who want to repeat a course for a grade need to obtain the dean’s approval through the College Center for Advising Services, 312 Lattimore Hall.

All freshmen and sophomores who have not been officially accepted into a major need to meet with their premajor advisors prior to registration.

All undergraduates in the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences must obtain permission from their department prior to registering for classes.


A—Instructor’s permission required
B—Not open to freshmen and sophomores
C—Permission of instructor required for freshmen
D—Open only to senior majors or by permission of instructor department
E—Not open to freshmen
F—Open only to RNs
G—Special application required
H—Instructor’s permission required for undergraduates
I—Open only to matriculated students
J—Permission of school dean required
K—Open only to freshmen and sophomores
L—Instructor’s permission required except for students matriculated in offering school
M—Open only to junior and senior majors of the offering department
N—Must register at the Simon School of Business
O—Departmental permission required
P—Open to freshmen only
Q—Open only to graduate students in offering
R—Permission of part-time studies required
S—Resident of Special Living Center only
T—Not open to seniors
U—Permission of offering school required
V—Permission of ESM director of academic affairs required
W—Juniors and seniors need signature of instructor
X—Instructor’s permission for freshman and sophomore
Y—Open only to river campus students
Z—Open only to ESM students
3—Open to majors only
4—Open to primary instrument


Underloads and Overloads

Underload (less than 14 hours) and overload (more than 19 hours) programs for undergraduates must be approved by the Dean’s Office through the College Center for Advising Services, 312 Lattimore Hall.


Auditing a Course

Students who wish to audit courses may do so online. When auditing a class, a student may participate in class sessions and coursework, earning neither a grade nor credit toward a degree. Matriculated full-time undergraduate students may audit at no extra cost.


Bursar Hold Information

University policy requires that students be current in payment of all tuition and fees prior to the registration for each academic term. STUDENTS WHO HAVE A PAST DUE BALANCE AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO REGISTER FOR THE NEXT TERM. University policy also requires all students to submit a signed payment agreement prior to registration.

If you have a past due balance, you may settle your account with the Bursar’s Office, 330 Meliora Hall, 585-275-3931. You will need financial clearance to register for the next term’s courses. All prior year balances must be paid in full before the start of the next academic year. Students whose past due balance is $5,000 or greater, or who submit a check that is returned by the bank, are subject to cancellation of registration for the current semester and withdrawal from the University unless acceptable arrangements are promptly made.


Independent Study Courses and Internships

You may add these at any time before the end of the third full week of classes, but be sure to leave sufficient time for the entire approval process and enough leeway to substitute another course if you do not receive approval. Here’s how to register for an independent study:

  1. Plan the course with a full-time instructor who will work with you and evaluate your work at the end of the semester.
  2. Submit the online Independent Study Form — (instructions).

Questions will be handled by mail or email. Receipt of the student’s copy by mail is confirmation that the study is approved.


Drop/Add Procedures

Before completing a drop/add, be sure to understand the rules and deadlines for adding and dropping courses. Undergraduates may drop/add online until the end of the first week of classes. Freshmen and sophomores are required to meet with their advisor to have the advisor HOLD lifted before completing a drop or add online. Beginning in the second week of classes all adds must be submitted on a drop/add form and signed by the instructor of the added course.

Drops should also be listed on the form, although a signature is not required. Freshmen, sophomores and all Hajim School students need to include their advisor’s signature.

To complete a Drop/Add Form include the following information:

  • Your name and student ID number correctly recorded
  • All necessary restrictions met
  • All required signatures obtained

Submit the completed form to the Academic Services Counter, 312 Lattimore Hall. Retain the student portion of the drop/add form for your records. **Hajim School reminder: ALL DROP/ADD FORMS REQUIRE A FACULTY ADVISoR SIGNATURE AND DEPARTMENT STAMP. Submit your signed drop/add form to the Dean’s Office in 301 Lattimore Hall.


Registration for Graduate Students and Other Schools

All master’s students will be considered full time students if they register for at least 12 hours of credit for the semester, or if they register for at least 9 hours of credit for any semester during which clinical contact hours or a lab component are required. Before adding or dropping a course, be sure you understand the rules, deadlines, and implications.


Registration for Non-Matriculated Students

If you are participating in the Rochester Area Colleges (RAC) Inter-Institutional program DO NOT register as a non-matriculated student. You MUST follow the procedure located here.

For Arts, Sciences and Engineering:

If this is the first term in which you are registering for courses at the University of Rochester, you must fill out an online application for non-matriculated students. This application allows you to submit personal information to the University and is necessary in order to set up your student online accounts.

Once completed you will be prompted to set up a NetID and password, which will allow you access to the online registration system where you can register for courses.

If you are a returning student then you may proceed to the online registration system to register for courses once registration opens for the term.

The schedule for registration is located on this site, you will not be able to register for courses until the listed date.

Instructions for using the online registration system are located on this site.


Rochester Area Colleges (RAC)

Inter-Institutional Registration Procedures

The Inter-Institutional Undergraduate Student Enrollment Form may be used only when the following circumstances occur:

  1. The requested course is NOT available at the home school.
  2. The student is a full-time undergraduate student at his or her home school throughout the duration of the requested course. A full-time student is defined as a matriculated student carrying no less than 12 credit hours.
  3. The course shall be applicable toward the student’s undergraduate degree program.
  4. Registration is on a space available basis.
  5. Inter-institutional enrollment is not applicable to summer programs, graduate students, graduate-level courses, or to any courses at the School of Nursing.
  6. Students are governed by the academic policies of the institution visited with regard to course requirements, withdrawal policies, etc.
  7. Consult with your dean or Registrar regarding the policies of transfer credit and inclusion of quality points.
  8. The fees associated with course may be charged. Please be prepared to pay these fees at the time of registration.

Registration instructions:

  1. Download the Inter-Institutional Registration Form. This form is an interactive PDF allowing you to fill in form field data.
  2. Obtain approval signatures in the order indicated. All signatures are required for each course selected. Proceed to visiting school and follow the registration procedures of that institution.
  3. Submit the completed form (original) to the Registrar's Office of the visiting school by the end of the drop/add period.
  4. A copy will be forwarded to the home school to complete the registration.
  5. To drop an intercollegiate course for which you are registered, you must notify the Registrar of your home and visiting school and follow the procedures outlined by the visiting school for dropping or withdrawing from a course.
  6. Please note that participating colleges have different ending dates for their semester or quarter. Grades, therefore, may not be available prior to a student’s commencement date and may delay graduation. Prior to enrolling, graduating students are advised to review this issue with appropriate officials at their home institution.
  7. Students must sign this form in order to have an official transcript forwarded to the home school.


Language Course Waitlist

If a language course is closed and you want to be added to the wait list, please click here.