Susan B. Anthony Lifetime Achievement Award - 2014
The Susan B. Anthony Lifetime Achievement Award was established in 1997 by the Susan B. Anthony Center for Women's Leadership to honor and celebrate women whose lives have been enriched by their years at the University of Rochester and who have, in turn, inspired other women to advance and lead. Nominees are faculty, staff, trustees and/or alumnae who have achieved significant professional stature and influence; have a commendable, trailblazing body of work; and, who have used their experience and skills to help other women advance as leaders. Nominees should have a strong affiliation with the University of Rochester and a "lifetime" of significant achievements.
Past awardees include:
• 1997 - Jean Watkeys, M.D., one of three women in her UR Medical School class
• 1998 - Ruth Lawrence, M.D., a renowned neonatologist
• 1999 - Myra Gelband, a senior editor at Sports Illustrated and UR Trustee
• 2000 - Paula Brownlee, Ph.D., the first woman president of the Association of American Colleges and Universities and UR Trustee
• 2001 - Barbara Hotham Iglewski, Ph.D., professor and chair of the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry and also the first woman to chair a department at the University of Rochester Medical School
• 2001 - Elizabeth R. McAnarney, M.D., professor and chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Rochester Medical Center and Pediatrician-in-Chief of the Children's Hospital at Strong.
• 2002 - Judith Pipher, PhD, professor of astronomy in the Department of Physics and Astronomy and member of UR faculty since 1971
• 2003 - Patricia Herminghouse, PhD, Emerita of German, Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, University of Rochester
• 2004 - Jean Barr, DMA, Professor of Piano Accompanying & Chamber Music at the Eastman School of Music
• 2005 - Brenda Meehan, PhD, founding member of the Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women's Studies and trailblazing historian
• 2006 - Esther Conwell, PhD, Professor of Chemistry and Physics, named by Discover Magazine as one of the 50 Most Important Women in Science, 2002
• 2007 - Suzanne Jagel O'Brien, '59, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Director of the Center for Academic Support
• 2008 - The Honorable Lois J. Giess, BSN, Rochester City Council President and UR Trustee
• 2009 - Daria Semegen, BM '68, Associate Professor and Director of the Electronic Music Studio at Stony Brook University and UR Trustee
• 2010 - Harriet J. Kitzman, RN, PhD, FAAN '68, Professor and Senior Associate Dean for Research, UR Trustee
• 2011 - Mary Huth, former assistant director of the Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation, and UR staff member since 1967
• 2012 - Nora Bredes, director of the Susan B. Anthony Center for Women's Leadership at the University of Rochester from 1999 to 2011
• 2013 - Sue S. Stewart, JD, former senior vice president and general counsel at the University of Rochester
The Susan B. Anthony Center for Women's Leadership welcomes your nominations for the 2014 SBA Lifetime Achievement Award. Nominations are due by Friday, November 22, 2013. They may be submitted to the Center by mail: University of Rochester, RC Box 270435, Rochester, NY 14627, or by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please click here for the award nomination form.
The award is presented at the Center's annual Susan B. Anthony Legacy Dinner, which is being held this year on Saturday, February 8, 2014.