Spotlight on Engineering Alumni: Gretchen Bauer

bauerName: Gretchen Bauer ’10

Occupation: Systems Engineer

Education (UR and additional): BS (Optics), University of Rochester, 2010

Current city/state of residence: Hoboken, NJ

My older brother and cousin were already students at Rochester when I decided to attend. I actually went to Lehigh my freshman year and it was not a good fit for me, so I came and spent a weekend with my cousin Meaghan at Rochester and found it was the perfect fit for me so I transferred in the fall of my sophomore year. The positive experiences my family had at Rochester as well as its great reputation for its Optics program made it an easy decision.

I always loved math and science so I knew that I wanted to go into the Engineering field. I transferred to Rochester after spending my freshman year at Lehigh where I had taken general engineering courses which had helped me define which field I wanted to go into, Math/Physics. When I came to Rochester my sophomore year the Optics program was a natural fit for me as it combined my two favorite subjects.

I work as a Systems Engineer for  Exelis, a defense contractor. I work on radio frequency systems that are in the development phase. I really enjoy what I do as I get to work on all aspects of the system including development, build and test. I chose this career as it allows me to use my basic engineering skills, and I started doing optical design test and integration. Due to new opportunities within the company I have become a true systems engineer, integrating digital, radio frequency, and mechanical designs into a functioning system

I use a lot of what I learned at the Optics program at Rochester at work. The test equipment I use at work is similar to what I used in labs at Rochester. I also do a lot of modeling and data analysis using software tools that I was exposed to during undergrad. The most important skills I use are organization and time management as I now run a team of engineers and am responsible for getting products tested and delivered on time to customers.

How do you balance your work and personal life?

Since I work in a field where you cannot take your work home with you it is nice in the aspect that once I leave work, my work stays at work. I dedicate as much time as I can to building my very young career and I am very lucky that I ended up in the New York City area surrounded by many of my friends from college, one of which is my current roommate, that I can see often outside of work. I have joined local sports leagues in order to maintain a scheduled weekly event that I have outside of work.

How are you still connected with the University?

I often attend Rochester Networking Events and other alumni events the university offers in the NYC area. It’s a great way to catch up with old friends and meet other people that share a love of Rochester.