Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Anna Glen Brody

Name: Anna Glen Brody
Age: 27
Education (UR and additional): B.A. in Geological Sciences, University of Rochester, 2006; California State University, 2011.
Current city/state of residence: Santa Rosa, CA
Job Title: Staff Geophysicist
Employer: NORCAL Geophysical Consultants
Family: Martin and Beth Brody (parents)

My decision to major in Geology was actually the result of a scheduling issue. I needed a final class to fill my schedule during the fall of my sophomore year, and my advisor spoke very highly of the “Introduction to Geology” course. I have always enjoyed the outdoors and thought it might be a good fit for me. The class was great and the materials really seemed to “click.” Subsequent courses became more and more interesting, and it really took off from there. I will forever be appreciative of that scheduling issue in 2007!

I decided to continue my studies in graduate school. One of my professors at the U of R was collaborating with a faculty member at California State University, Fresno, and implored me to check out the opportunities there. I visited the school several days after graduating from the U of R, and was excited by the work at CSU, Fresno. By August 2006, I was on a plane to California and starting a new chapter in my life. The knowledge and academic discipline gained from my degree in geology proved invaluable during my transition into a new department. I was able to assimilate into a new department quickly and begin a Master’s project easily.

My Master’s thesis project involved the use of geophysical techniques to investigate a particular region of Yosemite Valley. This type of work is fairly specialized in terms of equipment and processing techniques, and I was incredibly fortunate to have been able to incorporate it into my work. As my final semester was finishing up, I attended a field expo that was held by the Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists, which showcased several leading local companies in the industry. There I met several individuals from NORCAL Geophysical Consultants, a very notable company out of Santa Rosa. I was immediately impressed with their work, and handed someone (who I would later learn was the President of the company and a CSU, Fresno alumni) a resume on the spot. Several weeks later, I was offered the position as a Staff Geophysicist with NORCAL just four hours after I successfully defended my Master’s thesis.

How do you balance your work and personal life?

Since starting at NORCAL this past August, I have continued to learn the balance between work and my personal life. One thing that I really strive for is the ability to leave work at work, and I accomplish that with a strong work ethic that I developed at the U of R. There are times when my schedule is busy with field work (going out for 3-4 days at a time), and there are times when I’m handling office work. No matter the work load, when 5 pm comes around, unless there is a pressing deadline, my workday is done. That means my computer and work phone are turned off. There is a lot to do in Santa Rosa, so my weekends are spent doing any number of things in the local area. And I try to keep up with my friends from Rochester, too. I think it’s very important to keep a healthy balance of work and play!

Try to take as many opportunities as you can in college, both academically and extracurricular wise! There are so many venues at the U of R for students to explore, and there is definitely something for everyone. I really enjoyed my experience with the various clubs (Students’ Association Appropriations Committee, Cinema Group, Campus Activities Board) and the friendships that grew out of them. And I took so many interesting classes that I probably would not have normally pursued (Psychology and Buddhism to name a few) – Clusters provide a great way to explore different academic areas and can open your eyes to so many new things! Enjoy all that Rochester has to offer!