Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Josh Rosen

Name: Josh Rosen
Age: 27
Occupation:  Associate Brand Manager
Education (UR and additional): B.A. in Psychology, University of Rochester, 2006. M.B.A. 2008.
Current city/state of residence: Philadelphia, PA
Community activities: Active volunteer in Philadelphia Habitat for Humanity

Being involved with my fraternity honestly taught me a great deal about leadership and teamwork. I think you can learn a lot from being involved with any campus organization, it’s a good opportunity to be entrepreneurial and really learn how to work in a team. If you can lead and motivate a group of unpaid college students, you can do just about anything.

I loved psychology as an undergrad and had originally planned to do my social PhD, but I as I was writing my honors thesis, I decided that route was not for me. I had always been interested in the nuances of people’s personality and I came to realize that I could best explore this in an applied setting of marketing/market research.

I work in brand management for Campbell Soup Company and I love it. I realized what I really loved about doing research in psychology as an undergrad was the conclusion—the “So what?”, which marketing is all about. I still am very analytic and passionate about psychology, but I get to apply it to help meet consumers needs.

Understanding psychology has been a huge basis for my ability in marketing. I often times think back to basic theories and constructs as I am looking at various consumer needs. In addition, learning statistics and research methodology has been very helpful in allowing me to objectively evaluate studies and data to make good business decisions.

How are you still connected with the University?

I continue to involve myself with University when I can. When there are events in Philadelphia, I always make an effort to help out if I can. It’s a great affiliation and a network that you will carry with you for the rest of your life, you might as well make use of it.

My best advice would be to network as much as you can. This does not mean ask people for jobs. Look for people who are in careers that are similar to things you want to do, reach out and set-up time to talk with them about how they got there (30 minutes is usually fine). Be genuine and you’ll be surprised how much people will want to help you.