Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Yang Chen

Name: Yang Chen
Age: 25
Occupation: Risk Associate at Deutsche Bank
Education (UR and additional): B.A. in History and B.A. in Economics, University of Rochester, 2008.
Current city/state of residence: Astoria, NY

I chose to attend the University of Rochester purely for two reasons, financial and its reputation as a science/research school. During my college application process, I was down to Carnegie Mellon Business or coming to Rochester for biology. I chose University of Rochester because Rochester gave me more money, and at first, I wanted to be a doctor.

I chose to be a History major the moment I entered college because it was always my favorite subject. I chose to go with an economic degree my sophomore year because I abandoned my plans of being a doctor and wanted a major that could provide some financial security upon graduation.

I graduated in 2008, and frankly, it was a terrible time to graduate due to the economy. I just went on online job sites and landed a job working with the compliance and risk department of an international bank. I have continued this career path. Working with anti-money laundering and the corporate legal field is quite different from the typical banking desk job – I am basically a financial transaction investigator.

Where would you like to be in five years?

Finishing up my JD degree so I can further my career in this field or explore other options in the legal field.

Please make an effort to network and obtain internships and experiences in what you want to do. Getting a job after college is getting harder and harder, and those with internship experiences will have a huge advantage in getting a job after college. Companies are no longer hiring like they did in 2006 and 2007, it takes hard work and experience to land something. The career office can only go so far in helping you, but the most important thing is to be proactive and push for opportunities yourself.