Spotlight on Interdepartmental Alumni: Annabelle Estera

esteraName: Annabelle Estera T5 ’10

Education: BA (Interdepartmental Studies, T5 ’10), University of Rochester; M.A. (Higher Education and Student Affairs, 2013), The Ohio State University

Current city/state of residence: Columbus, OH

I chose the University of Rochester for several reasons including its reputation, the ability to take courses at Eastman, and the freedom of the curriculum. Also, the campus is beautiful!

I was sort of a late bloomer when it came to choosing my major! Because of the freedom of the curriculum, I took courses across a broad range of disciplines in my first two years and by then still hadn’t made a firm decision. When it came time to decide, I decided to stick with music, but change it up a bit and focus on society rather than performance or history. Thus, my major was born in the fall of my third year: “Music in Contemporary American Society.” The intent was to pursue a career in arts administration.

I did a variety of activities on campus, including orchestra and choir for a few semesters. I also volunteered for orientation and study abroad. My deepest involvements however were with the Filipino American Students’ Association and Sigma Psi Zeta sorority.  These two groups had the greatest impact on me in developing my ethnic and racial identities and also provided many leadership opportunities. I was able to meet so many people that I wouldn’t have met otherwise and continue those relationships through today.

I recently earned my MA in Higher Education and Student Affairs from The Ohio State University. I am now working here full-time in the Student Life Multicultural Center as an Intercultural Specialist. I focus mainly on Asian/Asian American student initiatives (programming, advising) but am also a part of the intercultural work that our center does across different identity groups. I chose this career because I recognize the impact that the college experience has on students and I want to be part of helping to creative a positive environment for others. It is wonderful working with students, staff, and faculty who inspire me every day!

It’s hard to separate my major from the rest of my experience because I think of my college experience holistically. Thinking about my major was well as my Take Five program (Asian Diasporas), certificate in management studies, and work and student group experience, I was able to develop my critical thinking as well as administrative skills, both of which are highly important to my current program.  My current program is also very interdisciplinary in nature so I think it was a very natural shift from one interdisciplinary program to another. 

Don’t get too hung up on the question of what a certain major will lead to.  Goals and interests do change (even after graduation!). I think for a lot of the science fields the connection is probably more apparent, but what is more important is that you are pursuing something you are truly interested in and excited about. Seek work or volunteer opportunities that pique your interest. Keep an open mind, and take in and do all you can. Each step you take and experience you have, whether you end up deciding after the fact that “this is” or “this isn’t for me” takes you one step closer to where you’re supposed to be.