Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Brian Kehoe

Name: Brian Kehoe
Age: 32
Occupation: Legislative Analyst at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Education (UR and additional): B.S. in Biological Sciences and Microbiology, University of Rochester, 2002; J.D. University of Maryland School of Law.
Current city/state of residence: Washington, DC

I chose the University of Rochester primarily because it is a smaller university with a very strong biology program and a beautiful campus.

What activities were you involved in as a student, and what did you gain from them?

I was a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity. I credit my experience in the fraternity with helping me learn how to relate to different types of people and organize a large group. Also, It has helped me to preserve a strong connection to the University.

Immediately after graduation, I moved to Boston and worked in research at Millennium Pharmaceuticals. My work in a laboratory at the Medical Center provided me with the practical skills necessary for such a job. Several close friends from U of R also moved to Boston at the same time, which made my transition to the working world much easier. After two great years in Boston, I moved to Baltimore to attend law school at the University of Maryland.

What do you do now, and why did you choose this career?

Now, I work as a legislative analyst at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. In this position, I manage FDA interactions with Congress. For example, I draft testimony for congressional hearings, brief senior FDA officials on congressional interests, and work on pending legislation with congressional staff. Even in college, I knew I wanted to blend science with communication, and I feel very lucky to have found such a career.
I participate in several intramural sports including pick-up soccer at FDA headquarters.