Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Charu DeWitt

Name: Charu (Agarwal) DeWitt
Age: 32
Occupation: Scientist
Education (UR and additional): B.A. in Biology, University of Rochester, 2001; M.S. in Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, 2004.
Current city/state of residence: Ann Arbor, MI
Family: Aaron DeWitt, husband
Community activities: Secretary of neighborhood association, local book club member

I was a member of Alpha Phi sorority and ADITI.  Also, I worked part-time as a lab assistant at the University of Rochester Medical Center.  Being a part of a variety of organizations allowed me to meet and become friends with a diverse group of people, many of whom I am still in touch with today.  It also helped me learn time management, which is such an important skill for the “real world,” and leadership skills.

After graduation, I worked for a year as a lab technician at the University of Rochester Medical Center.  Honestly, I wasn’t sure what path I wanted to take with my biology degree—I just knew it wasn’t the medical school route!  I liked working in a lab part-time during college, so I decided to apply to full-time lab jobs and ended up really enjoying doing bench work.

What do you do now, and why did you choose this career?

I am currently working at a small biotech company as a research associate.  I work in a lab doing cell culture, developing assays, and validating the company’s potential products.  Through the classes that I took and the jobs that I have held, I found that I like doing research and working in a lab, so I stuck with this career path!

How do you balance your work and personal life?

It’s not always easy, but if you don’t find a way to do it, you’ll go crazy!  I make time to take vacations, hang out with friends, and organize outings with my co-workers.

How are you still connected with the University?

I have done alumni interviews for prospective students.  Also, I keep up with the Alpha Phi chapter at the UofR through their newsletters.  I also try to give back annually through alumni donations.

Take a variety of classes outside of your major—this is your chance to experience things you might not get a chance to in the future.  Get involved in academic extracurricular activities, as well as social activities—make connections with older students and professors in your future career field.