Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Craig Radley

Name: Craig Radley
Age: 27
Education (UR and additional): B.A. in Economics and minor in Biomedical Engineering, University of Rochester, 2009.
Current city/state of residence: Rochester, NY
Job Title: Assistant Analyst
Employer: KJT Group
Community activities: Various Sports Leagues, Dog Training Events

I was active as both a fraternity brother and a Yellow-jacket. Both of these organizations led to amazing experiences and lasting friendships. Additionally, working with these groups helped develop skills that have been an asset in the working world, such as working as a team, conducting effective meetings, and managing the relationships and politics of the business world.

What resources did you use on campus that you recommend current students use?

UR’s career center is a great resource that is under utilized by undergraduates. The résumé and interview coaching resources are stellar, but the career center especially shines in helping students identify their talents and aspirations. I recommend students go early and often in their undergraduate careers. It’s essential for students to prioritize this area of their education in conjunction with their class work.

Who were your mentors while you were on campus? Have you continued those relationships?

It was my manner to seek help and advice from other students more than from the staff and educators at the university. I encourage students to reach out and connect with their professors and other university staff, but remember that the greatest resource available is often their peers.

I’m currently an analyst for KJT Group in Honeoye Falls, NY. KJT Group is an evidence-based consulting firm, and we focus on market research primarily in the healthcare industry. Much of my work involves pricing and forecast modeling for pharmaceutical products, but I also do many analyses to better understand brand relationships and marketing opportunities.

Surprisingly, study skills and note taking have been far more valuable than I would have expected. While much of the statistics I learned at UR serves as a base for my current work, nearly everything I do requires additional and continuing study to expand my capabilities and keep pace with emerging techniques. Similarly, critical and analytical thinking skills learned at UR have played a much larger role in my current work that any specific topic of study.

How do you balance your work and personal life?

I’m fortunate to work for a company that strives for solid work-life balance. Occasionally, long hours are required, but efforts to stay happy and healthy during lighter weeks makes excelling during the difficult weeks far more achievable—it’s often a rewarding experience to come together as a team and really crush a project. I also try to make sure my life outside of work is active. I think it’s important to keep pushing yourself to stay social and find activities you’re passionate about.

Where would you like to be in five years?

One of the advantages of working for a small company is the opportunity to wear multiple hats. In five years, I would like to expand my responsibilities beyond analytics and have a role influencing the business decisions of the company.

Keep exploring opportunities, for fresh, unique experiences are abundant in college, and taking advantage of them leads to an extremely rewarding experience. Once you’re out of college, keep that exploration in mind. The responsibilities that accompany a career, family, and home can quickly marginalize your passions. Make it a priority to keep trying new things, meeting new people, and pursuing the things you love.