Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Zachary Kimball

Name: Zachary Kimball

Occupation: Law Student, Harvard Law School
Education (UR and additional): BA 2010 (Economics and Political Science), University of Rochester, JD 2015, Harvard Law School (in progress)

Current city/state of residence: Cambridge, MA

Community activities: Entrepreneurship, Running

My passion for theatre led me to the activities with which I was most heavily involved—the International Theatre Program (URITP) and The Opposite of People Theatre Company (TOOP).  In fact, the camaraderie developed at URITP led to the creation of TOOP, as a student theatre venue, in 2008.

What resources did you use on campus that you recommend current students use?

The Career Center.  I know that some students think it is intimidating or that it can’t or won’t help them.  But at the very least it presents options you didn’t even know existed.  And it will provide an avenue to connect with the University and other alumni in the future.

Who were your mentors while you were on campus? Have you continued those relationships?

My mentors on campus were several professors, some from my academic study in the Political Science Department and others from my co-curricular time spent in the International Theatre Program.  I have maintained contact and enjoy visiting with them when I can.  Their continued involvement remains a meaningful part of my college career.

I applied to law school during my senior year, but wanted work experience before continuing my academic education.  I deferred my admission and accepted a position conducting economic research at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.  That time off was invaluable—I am extraordinarily glad that I had the opportunity to work before returning to school.

How do you balance your work and personal life?

Work/life balance can be a challenge, especially when a job requires demanding hours or frequently has short-term deadlines.  I try to set aside some time for exercise, friends, and relaxation each week.  Advance planning helps.

How are you still connected with the University?

I try to stay involved with the University as much as possible.  I attend alumni events and student networking events, and regularly return to campus for Meliora Weekend.  I joined the George Eastman Circle to give back and stay connected to the exciting developments at UR.