Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Lara Chassin

Name: Lara Chassin
Occupation:  Attorney
Education (UR and additional): B.A. in Economics, University of Rochester, 2002; JD, Fordham University School of Law
Current city/state of residence: New York City, NY
Family: Husband Jonathan (Class of ’01), daughter Charlotte
Community activities: Member of the Dave Nee Foundation Committee; Member of the Mt. Sinai Crystal Ball Benefit Committee; Board Member of the East Harlem Outreach Program

I chose my major in my sophomore year.  I took an introductory economics course, and really enjoyed the subject matter.   For the next three years, I became engrossed in the use of economics to explain rational human behavior and solve problems in society.

I was on the board of the Community Service Network and the Panhellenic Association.  My participation in these organizations taught me responsibility and how to successfully collaborate with a team.  I ran the Big Brother Big Sister program at the University, which allowed me to continue the commitment to community service that I had developed in high school, and taught me about the benefits and challenges of leadership.

What resources did you use on campus that you recommend current students use?

CLARC for late-night studying, the Reading Room in the library for outlining, and the stacks for hunkering down and studying for exams.

I went to Law School.  I minored in English Literature and enjoy writing.  As much as I loved economics, I found that most jobs and graduate programs were too quantitatively based for me.  I spoke with many law students and attorneys who advised me that practicing law could be a career that allowed me to utilize economic principles and write.

I am a litigator.  My love of writing led me to choose to become a litigator after Law School.

How do you balance your work and personal life?

I find it important to schedule in time to see my husband and child. I try to spend time with them in the mornings and after work and on the weekends.  I also schedule in time with friends.  We’ll meet for drinks or dinner one night a week and meet for brunch on the weekends.

How are you still connected with the University?

I am a George Eastman Circle Member, a member of the New York New Leaders Cabinet, a member of my class’s reunion committee, and I interview perspective students as part of Rochester’s recruitment efforts.

Find at least one thing you are passionate about but never stop learning about as many new things as you can.