Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Anthony Baldo

Baldo

Name: Anthony Baldo

UR Major: Economics and Political Science

Current City, State of Residence: Tampa, Fl

Job Title: Vice president – Branch Manager

Employer: JP Morgan Chase

Community Activities: Safety Harbor Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors – Treasurer and Safety Harbor Business Council Liaison.

How did you choose your major(s)?

Choosing my major was easy for me, because in some ways it chose me at a young age. I was always very business oriented, driven, and enjoyed the “why” behind successful business practices. Economics and political science fit well together, because politics impact our economy greatly.

How do you balance your work and personal life?

To be honest, this is a struggle to this day. Work can take over your life, but to be as effective as possible at work, you must be able to separate yourself from it, and enjoy yourself. I can’t say I have found balance in my life, but hard work, long hours, and that occasional vacation to seclusion has done me well.

What did you wish you had known before graduation? What would you have done differently?

I wish I would have had realistic expectations of what the real world was like after college. I think it is a common misconception that you are going to walk out of UR and have job offers knocking at your door. Senior year goes by very quickly, and if I could do it again, I would have spent more time resume building, and working with a career counselor to have a better plan after graduation.

What is your opinion regarding graduate school vs working right after graduation?

I received the best advice I could have asked for from a professor I had senior year. He said “Anthony, instead of going back to school to get a grade, get five years work experience, come back to apply what you have learned to become a better leader in the workplace.” To this day, I am thankful I listened, and joined the ranks of Chase. I will further my education at some point, but as needed, and tailored to my career path.

I was relocated down to Clearwater, Florida last September to open a new branch for Chase. It was my responsibility to get involved in the community, create a business plan, hire a staff of financial professionals, and start a branch from the ground up. I am able to run this business as my own, and enjoy each day in my role. I chose banking because I am passionate about helping my clients achieve their financial goals.

What career advice can you give to current UR students studying economics?

I would advise any current students to network and land as many internships as possible. At times, it’s not what you know, but whom you know. With that being said, I would like them to know that knowing people and having experience is ultimately how you get hired.