Spotlight on Humanities Alumni: Nathaniel King

nkingName: Nathaniel King

Occupation: Attorney

Education (UR and additional): B.A. (African and African American Studies and Film and Media Studies), University of Rochester; J.D., Florida A&M University College of Law 2011

Current city/state of residence: Orlando, FL

Community activities: Community Legal Educator, Campaign Volunteer

The University had nationally recognized programs of study in both arts and sciences.  When I was accepted, I wanted to study medicine; however, I also noticed that arts and social science programs offered at U of R produced skillful, successful writers, attorneys, and politicians.  I felt like any path that I would choose at U of R would lead me to success due to the University’s reputation.

I knew that I had a penchant for history, language, and communications.  African and African American Studies gave me the coursework and assignments to polish all of these skills and interests.  The AAAS major allows students to gain substantial exposure to economics, political science, history, and sociology among other disciplines which make for a great analyst and communicator.

What resources did you use on campus that you recommend current students use? 

The UR Career Center’s bank of internships and career opportunities was a very important resource for me as well as the networking with alumni at major events on campus.  I was able to get a PBS internship from the UR Career Center that helped to give me valuable experience.  Maintaining contact with your colleagues is also crucial because they become professional references and resources after graduation.

I became a history teacher in Ohio immediately after graduation because my goal of producing television for PBS was put on hold due to a change in federal funding for public broadcasting.

Currently, I am a juris doctor who just graduated for Florida A&M University College of Law.  I am awaiting my bar exam results and preparing to practice employment law in New York City.  I chose this career from my foundation in African and African American Studies at U of R, which gave me a thorough cultural studies and social science vantage point from which to successfully research, apply, and argue legal concepts.

Four years of study at U of R provided me with Spanish bilingual skills, scholarly research abilities, and effective writing and communication that gave me work opportunities in Los Angeles, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Orlando.

How are you still connected with the University?

I am a part of the Rochester Alumni Exchange that allows me to maintain contact with fellow alumni.  I share my experiences with high school grads who have been recently accepted to UR, and I occasionally provide financial support to the University.