Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Andrea Stoltz

stoltzName: Andrea Stoltz ’02

Education (UR and additional): BA (Health and Society / certificate in Public Sector Analysis), University of Rochester, 2002; Masters in Public Health (w/ concentration in Health Policy Management), New York Medical College, 2007

Current city/state of residence: Chevy Chase, MD

Job Title:  Full time Mother

Family: Husband Adam, daughter Hannah, and 2nd baby expected in June 2012 

I visited the school and it was love at first sight, especially since I happened to tour on that first spring day when everyone emerges from hiding after a long winter!  I made sure to visit once more during the dead of winter and fortunately the love was still there.  I was accepted early decision and was on my way.

I chose my major pretty early on during freshman year. In fact, it was probably something that drew me to the school initially. I always had an interest in health but wasn’t particularly passionate about the strict science of it.  Health and Society was a great fit for me since it allowed me to follow my interests and explore other non-traditional ways to learn about healthcare.

What resources did you use on campus that you recommend current students use? 

The career center!  When I was an undergrad this was the best kept secret- I still can’t understand why more students didn’t take advantage of it.  The counselors there were fantastic and incredibly helpful.  The resume writing help I received while there was invaluable and I always left the center feeling better about my present and future plans.  I really can’t stress enough how helpful the U of R Career Center is.

I started my first job exactly 10 days after graduation- talk about a whirlwind month!  I entered the sales professional training program for Merck.  I spent 7 years working for Merck as a sales professional where I covered many different territories and represented many different product lines.  I always knew I wanted to find a way to help make the masses healthier and I believe I was able to do that through pharmaceutical products.  Merck was a fabulous company to work for and the knowledge, confidence, friends, and skills I made while working there are experiences I will have for life.

After spending 8 years in corporate America I decided to take a break from that life and accept another important job.  Currently I am a full-time mother to my 20 month old daughter and my husband and I are expecting our second child in 2 months.   I love being at home with my daughter- watching her grown, learn, and sharing my experiences with her.  I look forward to continuing this work when our 2nd child is born and then plan to re-enter the paid workforce when the children get older and start school.

Take your studies seriously, but also take your other experiences during your years at U of R seriously- the life you have outside of the classroom during college will be just as important in preparing you for the real world.  And most importantly- enjoy yourself!  You have the rest of your life to be a serious adult so don’t rush it.