Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Michael Bozzella

BozzellaName: Michael J Bozzella

Class year: 2007

Major: Biology, Molecular Genetics

Occupation: Medical Student

Education (UR and additional): current student at University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

Current city/state/country of residence: Old Orchard Beach, ME

What were a few of the organizations, activities or pursuits you were involved in at the University of Rochester? Tell us about your experience in your favorite activity.

I was heavily involved in my Class Council, OBOC, and the Ski Team. Honestly its hard for me to pick any one from the three that I enjoyed more than the others. It was great working to develop programs for my class and getting to know the inner workings of the university. I loved (and still do) performing. To this day, if the weather (and my schedule) allows, you can probably find me on the mountain (though these days its Sugarloaf and Sunday River instead of Bristol or Whiteface).

What advice do you have for the current class of Keidaeans?

Take full advantage of your time at Rochester. Make connections, have fun, try to figure out just who you are. I’ve found its much better to have the experience (good or bad) than to think back and say “what if?”

Right after graduation, I worked as a lab tech over in the Gorbunova Lab where I had done my senior research. It took me a little while to figure out just what I wanted to do with my life (aka research or medicine), so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to finish the work I had started as an undergrad. I was able to work in a field I was passionate about, spend a little more time in Rochester, and build my resume for application to Med Schools.

Right now I’m a medical student at UNECOM. Once I finally graduate, I plan on entering a pediatrics residency, followed by an infectious disease fellowship. I have always been fascinated by biology, and my passion to help those in need lead me towards medicine. I’ve always to enjoyed/preferred working with children (old people are boring), and it was actually viral infections that first garnered my interest in medicine.

How do you continue embodying spirit of Meliora, ever better, in your daily life?

I have actually taken my “4th” year and postponed it to add a pre-doctoral fellowship to my program. I’m spending this year between my clinical years acting as a teaching fellow in our anatomy, osteopathic principles and practices, and clinical skills courses. I work closely with our 1st year students to help them learn the material to the best of their abilities, and hone my own knowledge and skills base. 

Anything you wish you had pursued in college but could not for one reason or another?

I wish I had pursued study abroad. Although I was a science major, I feel as though with a bit more foresight, I could have arranged my schedule to spend a semester in Italy.