Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Lauren Latona

latonaName: Lauren Latona

UR Major: Economics

Other UR Majors/Minors: Business

Current City, State of Residence: Washington, DC

Job Title: Account Executive

Employer: BioScience Communications, a division of Edelman PR

Community Activities: Treasurer of Friends of TASO (http://friendsoftaso.org/)

How did you choose your major(s)?

In high school, I had a great economics teacher who showed me that economics uses intuitive ways to solve real-world problems.  It made me want to explore it further.

I played lacrosse for U of R. I never knew how much I learned from that experience while I was at school, but playing a sport helped me be able to work together with all different types of personalities, lead effectively, and be a strong teammate in the workplace.

Who were your mentors while you were on campus? Have you continued those relationships?

My lacrosse coach was my mentor while I was a student.  She was always willing to help and give good advice when any of her players needed it.  I continue to talk with her today and we were able to meet up during Mel Weekend.

What is your opinion regarding graduate school vs. working right after graduation?

Unless you know exactly what you want to do, I would suggest working after graduation.  By getting your hands dirty in the working world, you understand better what you actually like to do, which will help hone down options for grad school.  While I was in undergrad, I thought about getting my MBA after college. But, now that I have a job, I’m looking at a Masters in Health Economics or an MPH- things I never would have thought of had I gone to grad school after undergrad.

What do you do now and why did you choose this career? Where would you like to be in five years?

I work as an account executive for a medical education agency.  In 5 years, I would love to still be at my company, further advancing along the career ladder! It’s given my great opportunities and I know there’s a lot more I’d like to do here.