Spotlight on Social Sciences Alumni: Sohee Gu

gu

Name:  Sohee Gu

UR Major: Economics

Other UR Majors/Minors: International Relations (Minor)

Additional Education: Currently attending School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Johns Hopkins University, and pursuing a master’s degree in International Economics + International Relations

Current City, State of Residence: Washington, D.C.

How did you choose your major(s)?

In my sophomore year, I was a pre-med student who reluctantly decided to take microeconomics just because it was required for this other public health course I wanted to take – I had no choice. Little did I know, I fell in love with the subject that semester, enough to switch my major and career track completely.

My best friend and I created an art group called “GU-KT” partially for fun and partially to reflect our thoughts on various social issues via art. For the very first Art Awake, we ended up submitting this room-size installation that symbolized students’ negative biases toward the 19th Ward at the time, and it drew a lot of attention and got media coverage. Activities like this made my life more fun and richer than I ever thought possible- also, now I cannot see him so much after graduation, it has become one of the best memories.

What are some specific skills students should develop during an internship?

How to effectively write and network with people. I find writing in the real world different from writing in college. Also, it is better to start networking now than right before graduation. Meet people, introduce yourself and your interests!

What did you wish you had known before graduating? What would you have done differently?

That there is a world outside of the campus and the city of Rochester. I wish I explored opportunities both in and outside of Rochester- internship, fun activities, travelling, etc.-  more aggressively and taken advantage of them.

What is your opinion regarding graduate school vs. working right after graduation?

I would definitely recommend working after graduation over attending graduate school right away. If you are determined to be in academia, that is one thing- however, as someone who only had a broad idea of what I wanted to do in my life, I gained so much from having that real world experience before going to graduate school.