Spotlight on Humanities Alumni: Ben Epstein

defaultName: Ben Epstein

Age:  36

Education: BA (Film Studies & Political Science)

Current city/state of residence: NYC, NY

Job Title: Producer, American Pickers

Employer: Cineflix

I was offered a great financial aid package.

I started as a Political Science major, and then started taking Film Studies Courses.  Eventually I decided that the two compliment each other well and eventually chose to complete both as a double major.

Getting a foothold in my chosen field of Film and Television wasn’t easy.  Through an alumni connection I eventually found work as an intern on music videos and commercials, which led to paid work as a PA.

I’m a freelance TV Producer, Director and Writer for non-fiction cable networks.  I currently work on American Pickers for History.  After working on music videos and commercials, I realized that I’d rather work in a format that involved more substance and storytelling.  In 2000 I transitioned to documentary TV production and have since produced, written and directed a wide variety of cable programming for major basic cable networks.

Pick a clear career goal and study the dynamics of your chosen industry.  Don’t assume it will be easy to attain or that you will find an easy path to the top.  There are few shortcuts in real life, but through hard work and by paying your dues, you can get there.