Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Lisa Herzig

herzigName: Lisa Herzig

Occupation: Developmental Pediatric Fellow

Education: (’05) B.A. from University of Rochester, M.D. from SUNY Buffalo

Current city/state/country of residence: Seattle, WA/USA

Current Community activities: Volunteer at camp for children with disabilities

When and how did you choose your major(s)?

I chose my major after taking a BCS class in my first year. I thought it sounded interesting and I got really hooked once I took the class so I decided to make that my major. I was originally going to be a biology major since I was thinking about medical school but due to my interesting in neuroscience and psychology- this was a great fit. 

I did Ballet Performance Group, D’motions and Radiance. I was also in the Delta Gamma sorority. All of those activities taught me a lot about working on a team and they were FUN and great for stress relief!

What did you do immediately after graduation?  How did you decide to take this path?

I went straight to medical school at SUNY Buffalo. I decided to apply to medical school after I went on a medical mission to Honduras after my freshman year of college. It was a very valuable experience and made me realize that I want to help people for a living.

After medical school, I completed a pediatric residency and then decided to apply for a fellowship in developmental pediatrics- I am currently in my second year. It’s a really great mix of neurology, genetics, psychology and rehabilitation and I absolutely love it. It’s also really rewarding to work with families and kids who have mental and physical disabilities.

I use my BCS knowledge all the time. I did more of the neuroscience track and it was really helpful in medical school to have background knowledge about how brain chemistry and neurotransmitters work. I use it now in fellowship too when reading journal articles and also to help me understand how medications that target the brain work.

Where would you like to be in five years?

In five years I hope to be starting a Down syndrome clinic or at least employed at one. Down syndrome is a great passion of mine and they don’t have one here at Seattle Children’s Hospital so I may help to get one started or I may come back to my family on the east coast and join a practice there, depending on how things work out. I am taking classes at University of Washington to work towards a masters degree in health administration and I hope to one day be in an administrative and clinical position.