Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Liz Kaminsky

kaminskyName: Liz Kaminsky

Occupation: Dental Student
Education (UR and additional):
B.A. in BCS from University of Rochester, Post-Bac Harvard University, DMD University of Connecticut

Current city/state/country of residence: West Hartford, CT

Current Community activities: Oral Health Screenings at community fairs, Special Olympics, American School for the Deaf

I loved the freedom to chose courses that the Rochester curriculum allows. I also loved the study abroad program options.

When and how did you choose your major(s)?

I wanted a major in the Natural Sciences and did not want to take chemistry, biology or physics. Also, BCS was really interesting to me since I love learning how the body works. I was not disappointed, because looking back now I am very happy with everything I learned as a BCS major at Rochester. It has helped me to become a much better dentist.

What did you do immediately after graduation?  How did you decide to take this path?

Since I did not take biology, chemistry or physics at Rochester, I graduated in May and began a post-bac program that summer. For the next year, I took all the required sciences and took the dental school entrance exam (the DAT) so I could apply the following June. I interviewed at several places in the fall and finally decided to attend the University of Connecticut. Throughout both of my post-bac years, I worked as a research technician at Tufts University doing Dental Materials research. These two years were some of the toughest to manage, but it was all worth it in the end. I am very happy I got to take full advantage of all the opportunities at Rochester without worring about dental school pre-requisites.

Now I am a 4th year dental student at UConn. I wanted a career in science where I could work directly with people on a daily basis and one that used my hand skills. Dentistry satisfied those criteria and much more. I love helping people work through their dental anxiety, and using some of the skills I learned in BCS to do so.

Where would you like to be in five years?

In five years, I would like to be a practicing general dentist in Chicago or Seattle. I hope to be part of a group practice with a strong connection to community health dentistry.

What is your fondest memory of the University?

My fondest memory is living in Anderson Tower during my senior year with five of my best friends. I loved living on campus and being connected to student life, but it was nice to be in a suite with our own bathroom and living area. We had a lot of fun together that year and someone was always around to talk to.