Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Sara Spielman

spielmanName: Sara Spielman

Occupation: Clinical Research Coordinator

Education (UR and additional): University of Rochester ‘13

Current city/state/country of residence: Boston, MA

When and how did you choose your major(s)?

I decided to be a neuroscience major during my freshman year of college. I had taken a basic neurobiology class in high school which sparked my interest. After taking BCS 110 my freshman year, I decided that I wanted to go the neuro route because it was the biology based parts of the class that interested me the most. I was also able to complete the pre-med requirements easily while completing my neuroscience major. 

What resources did you use on campus that you would recommend current students use?

Office hours! I didn’t really utilize them until the second half of college but once I started to go, I realized how useful they were. Even if I didn’t have questions about the material we were covering in class, I found it very useful to at least introduce myself to my professors. This not only made me more comfortable asking for help in the future, but also allowed me to build relationships that helped me out even after that class was over.

I was on the diving team for all four years of college and was a member of Alpha Phi sorority. I also worked in a neurobiology lab at the medical center for a year and a half. With all of my commitments I learned to manage my time really well. Serving on the executive board for my sorority for two years also taught me a lot of leadership and organizational skills. In addition to all of the life lessons I learned from being a part of these two organizations, I also made some of my closest friends in college.

What did you do immediately after graduation?  How did you decide to take this path?

I started working at Boston Children’s Hospital a couple weeks after graduation. I got connected to the hospital because of the Career and Internship Connections in Boston that the career center put together over winter break. My long term goal is to go to medical school, so this seemed like a great place to start. I’ve gotten to meet so many doctors already and am learning a huge amount, not only about clinical research, but also just about health care at the hospital in general.

Where would you like to be in five years?

Part way through medical school.