Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Sarah Rosen Fink

rosenName: Sarah Rosen Fink

Occupation: Scientist/Entrepreneur

Education (UR and additional): BA ’13 in BCS from the University of Rochester, MA and PhD in Psychology from NYU

Current city/state/country of residence: Hoboken, NJ

I visited the campus before choosing to attend the University of Rochester and knew right away that it was a great fit. The campus was so beautiful, I loved the idea of clusters, and the financial aid was also a big help. Most importantly, the students seemed very laid back and friendly.

When and how did you choose your major(s)?

When I was applying to the University of Rochester I saw Brain and Cognitive Science on the list of majors. I had never heard of it and didn’t really know what it was but it sounded unique and interesting so I randomly checked it off. After taking the intro course, I realized it was actually the perfect major for me. I also did the pre-med track and took American Sign Language, which conveniently fulfilled my cluster requirements and gave me two minors (biology and ASL). I really liked how many aspects of BCS, biology, and ASL overlapped. 

I was the head of the literacy program (we went to local city schools and helped young kids with reading). I also participated in water polo, OBOC, and Hillel. The literacy program was great because I love working with kids and it connected me to the city rather than just the campus. In general, all school activities helped me form a sense of community with my peers and I made a lot of great friends.

Who were your mentors while you were on campus?  Have you continued those relationships?

Many of the BCS professors were great mentors. Since I now work in vision science, I have been in contact with a number of them professionally.

What did you do immediately after graduation?  How did you decide to take this path?

I worked with autistic kids. I was always very interested in autism both before and after undergrad. Majoring in BCS gave me a great foundation for understanding the neural underpinnings of autism. While I was at the University of Rochester I was also able to take a few graduate courses focusing on autism.

I decided to go to graduate school at NYU for a PhD in psychology (my specific program was in Cognition and Perception, which is like BCS). I focused on vision science since that was one area of BCS that I particularly enjoyed. While at NYU, one of my projects was patented and I now have a startup company based on that patent. I never really planned my career path, it just happened.

Almost everything: designing and executing experiments, critical thinking, presenting projects, and of course knowledge  on how the brain and sensory systems work. 

How you are still connected with the University?

I met my husband and some of my best friends there.

What is your fondest memory of the University?

How can you pick just one?! I have so many great memories that I cherish.

Enjoy every moment because it will go by so quickly. There is nothing like college.