Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Stephanie Klenotich

defaultName: Stephanie Klenotich

Occupation: Doctoral Candidate

Education (UR and additional): University of Rochester BS ’07; University of Chicago Ph.D. ‘13

Current city/state/country of residence: Chicago, IL

Current Community activities: Chicago Youth Programs

I was a member of the Varsity Women’s Soccer team during my time at UR. I gained unbelievable memories and friendships through the team and that I wouldn’t trade for the world. Being a part of the team taught me valuable lessons about determination, hard work, time management, and team work.

What did you do immediately after graduation?  How did you decide to take this path?

After graduation I took a research technician/lab manager position at Loyola University Chicago in order to gain more research experience as well as take organic chemistry in my time off and prepare/take the GRE

I am currently in my 5th year of my doctorate program at the University of Chicago in Neurobiology. I chose this career with the desire to continue my training as a neuroscientist and prepare for a career in research.

Where would you like to be in five years?

In 5 years I would like to be a research scientist at a major pharmaceutical company in the Chicagoland area.

If you are eager to pursue a career in academic research, be wary of the current funding climate and how that has affected the careers of young investigators. It is a long, and unstable road to tenure, and so one must be truly committed to this avenue to succeed in the current funding situation. I recommend talking to those in the field, and those who have entered recently, for their thoughts, advice, and experiences before tackling grad school.