Spotlight on Natural Sciences Alumni: Wendy Moore

mooreName: Wendy Moore

Occupation: Soon-to-be director of Brooklyn Country Day, a small, private preschool

Education (UR and additional): BA in BCS and Psychology ’05, U of R; PhD in Cognitive Development, Teachers College Columbia University

Current city/state/country of residence: Brooklyn, NY

Who were your mentors while you were on campus?  Have you continued those relationships?

Dr. Charles Duffy over at the medical center had a tremendous influence on my interest in pursuing research beyond graduation. The rigorous process of going through my undergraduate thesis and defense with him made for a pretty easygoing doctoral degree experience.

I just graduated from Teachers College and currently take care of my son full-time. Through discovering that I need to also sink my teeth into a professional challenge, I decided to lay out plans to start my own preschool. My BCS background affords me a unique perspective on preschool design and philosophy in ways that other classically trained early childhood preschool teachers don’t necessarily have.

Where would you like to be in five years?

Laying out plans to start a charter preschool for low-income children.

What is your fondest memory of the University?

My freshman year, I was nervously approached by a hallmate to go to the masquerade ball on a first date. Who would have ever thought we’d move to Brooklyn together one day? Been married 5 years- our son just turned one.

Take time to do some big dreaming. If you think research might interest you, get involved in a research track- sink your teeth into a big project! And take a class or two totally outside the box what you typically think you’d find interesting.