Spotlight on Humanities and Social Sciences Alumni: Emily Discenza

discName: Emily Discenza

UR Major: Economics

Other UR Majors/Minors: Italian Studies

Additional Education: Part Time Simon School Student – MS Accountancy

Current City, State of Residence: Rochester NY

Job Title: Senior Associate

Employer: KTB Capital LLC.

How did you choose your major(s)?

I mistakenly thought that “economics” was a comparative substitute to being a business major. I hear undergrads today have the option to study either; however, I’m glad I studied economics. It gave me a broader and better sense of how our society works both economically and socially.

I was involved in Greek life, club sports, and the study abroad program. Studying abroad was hands down one of my most valuable college experiences. I gained a very close group of friends I would not have otherwise had. You may have the opportunity later in life to travel internationally, but few of us will have the opportunity to live abroad and establish a home outside the US, so do it now!

What did you wish you had known before graduating? What would you have done differently?

Grades are important; however, I wish I would have put more emphasis on gaining professional experience while in college. Internships both during and in between semesters are key in getting the job you want after college. Get good grades, but don’t forget to balance your time studying with networking and utilizing the career center.

What is your opinion regarding graduate school vs. working right after graduation?

Unless you have had substantial and diverse real-world business internships, put a pin in grad school after graduation. Grad school is a huge financial and physical albeit worthwhile investment. You need to know exactly what you want to pursue before making the commitment and you really won’t know that until you experience business areas outside of the classroom.

What do you do now and why did you choose this career? Where would you like to be in five years?

Currently my position is a mix of financial reporting, investor relations, and property management for a real estate investment and management company. In five years I would like to have my MS in Accounting as well as a CMA and use those credentials to add value to a well established REIT in the city of my choice.