University Health Service (UHS)
The University Health Service (UHS) offers nutrition services for student patients. These services are offered by a registered dietitian. Your primary care provider may refer you to the dietitian, or you may choose to schedule an appointment on your own. We recommend checking your insurance coverage before receiving services.
Scheduling an Appointment: Call UHS at 585-275-2662.
We recommend scheduling an appointment with your UHS primary care provider (PCP) prior to scheduling an appointment with the UHS Dietitian. Your primary care provider can write a referral, if your insurance plan requires a written referral.
The UHS Dietitian sees patients by appointment in the UHS office on the first floor of the UHS Building on the River Campus.
The method of payment will depend on your health insurance coverage. The mandatory health fee paid by full-time students does not cover visits with the UHS Dietitian; however, the UR Student Health Insurance Plan does provide coverage. (See below.)
For students covered by UR Student Health Insurance Plan offered by UHS:
- You need a referral for visits to the UHS Dietitian to be covered by the plan. You can obtain a referral by scheduling an appointment with your UHS primary care provider (PCP). Call 585-275-2662 to schedule an appointment with your UHS PCP.
- You will be charged a $25 specialist copayment for each visit with the UHS Dietitian.The copayment can be paid by credit card, check, or charged to your tuition billing statement. The remainder of the cost is covered by the insurance plan. (Note: If you are receiving services prior to August 1, 2017, you must meet the $125 medical deductible before your coverage begins. During the 2017-18 year, which begins on August 1, 2017, the plan will no longer have deductibles.)
For all patients covered by another insurance plan:
- You should check with your insurance company about coverage before receiving nutrition services at UHS. Your insurance plan may require a referral, limit the coverage, restrict the number of visits covered, or exclude nutrition services from coverage.
- When you call your insurance company, we recommend asking the following questions:
- Are nutrition services (i.e., visits with a dietitian) covered?
- Are nutrition services covered "out of area"? This question is especially important if you are not from the Rochester area.
- Is a referral required? If yes, can the referral be from your UHS primary care provider or must the referral be from your primary care provider at home?
If the answer is no to either one of the first two questions, then you are responsible for paying for the services you receive.
- If UHS cannot bill directly to your insurance company, you will need to pay the bill. A statement showing nutrition services received at UHS can be given to you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. You can then submit a claim to your company. If nutrition services are covered by your plan, the reimbursement will be paid directly to you.
- If visits with the UHS Dietitian are not covered by your insurance plan, you will be responsible for payment. If you are a full-time student, the charge can be sent to your tuition billing statement.
For questions about billing & insurance:
- Students who need assistance or a referral can contact the UHS Student Insurance Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-275-2637.
- All other UHS patients can contact the UHS Billing Administrator at email@example.com or 585-275-2638.