Health Promotion Office
Health Care IQ
What’s your health care IQ? Navigating personal health care can be challenging, especially for college students who may be on their own for the first time. Our programs and services can help you answer questions, such as:
- Do I have a cold or the flu?
- What so I do if I get Norovirus?
- What vaccines do I need and where do I get them?
- How do I properly wash my hands?
- How do I schedule an appointment at UHS?
NYS Immunization Collaborative
The University Health Service (UHS) participated in the New York State Immunization Collaborative. The members of the Collaborative developed strategies to increase the number of students receiving Tdap, Influenza, and HPV vaccine.
Strategies implemented at the University of Rochester included:
- Increasing the number of students receiving Flu and HPV vaccines by offering several flu and HPV vaccine clinics.
- Increasing the number of patients asked about the vaccines during visits to UHS.
- Involving students in the promotion of the vaccine.
- Informing students on the UR Student Health insurance Plan (Aetna) about the plan’s coverage of the vaccines.
- Offering Tdap clinics at orientation programs for incoming international students.
Availability of HPV & Flu Vaccine:
HPV Vaccine: Students who want to receive the HPV vaccine at UHS can schedule an appointment by calling UHS at 585-275-2662. The UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) covers the cost of the vaccine. Students on other insurance plans should verify coverage before receiving the vaccine at UHS.
Flu Vaccine: Students can schedule an appointment to receive a flu shot at UHS by calling 585-275-2662. The UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) covers the cost of the vaccine.
Throughout the year, the Health Promotion Office educates students on a variety of self-care topics. Examples include:
- Care for colds and flu
- Hand washing
- Navigating your student health care
We also work with students on the University of Rochester Student Health Advisory Committee (URSHAC).