University Health Service (UHS)
Health Promotion Office
Healthy Monday @ UR
Week #2: Move-It Monday
Physical activity is a great way to manage weight and stress! If you're looking for ways to stay active, check out the activities below. You can head to Goergen Athletic Center for the group fitness classes, self-led workouts, basketball, volleyball, swimming, and more. Even though the weather might not be perfect, you can keep active on campus by walking, running, cycling, playing Frisbee, or anything else that helps you be active.
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 10 – PILATES CLASS
Healthy Monday @ UR encourages you to move it this week. Ask a friend to go to a group exercise class with you or check out Healthy Monday @ UR's Pilates Class from 3:30-4:30p.m. in the Leibner Cooper Room in the Goergen Athletic Center. This class is free and open to all!!
- Outside: A suggested mile loop on campus is shown to the right. Following this map, you can run or walk a Monday mile at your own pace.
- Inside: in the event of inclement weather, you can also head indoors…to the indoor track at GAC to be specific. You can run or walk an indoor mile: all it takes is 8 laps around the track! Create Your Own: want to make your own Monday Mile route? Log on to Walkscore to map your route and mileage.
- Fitness classes @ GAC on Monday through Thursday evenings. Classes offered include Kardio Fusion, Iyengar Yoga, Yoga Flow, and Zumba, a Latin-inspired dance-fitness class. For more information and class times, see the schedule on the Goergen Athletic Center web site.
- Group runs: if you are looking to join a community of runners, you can join the URunning Club (see information below) for their group runs throughout the week or the Sunday runs at Fleet Feet Sports.
- Run with the URunning Club: beginners and marathoners alike are welcome to join the URunning Club's group run. This is a great way to get motivated, meet new people, and stay active during the school year. There is no fee to join, and you are welcome to join as many runs as you would like. For more information you can email the URunning Club president.
- Simon Dance Club: Enjoy dancing? Want to learn? Join the Simon Dance Club for free lessons. Find out more via email or Facebook.
- Catch a wave and go for a swim at the Goergen Athletic Center’s indoor pool. Join the open hours at the GAC pool.
Information You Can Use:
- Learn more about the Goergen Athletic Center, including a 200 meter indoor track and free weekly fitness classes.
- Did you know that the University of Rochester Medical Center has its own Fitness & Wellness Center? Learn more by visiting their website: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/wellness.
- Walkscore.com: find local resources, restaurants, and other activities within walking distance.
- Tips for running in winter from RunnersWorld.com.
- Did you know that exercise can help with stress reduction? Find out more from the Mayo Clinic.
Join our Healthy Monday @ UR Facebook group
More Healthy Monday