Sexual Assault and Dating Violence
When You Know Someone Who Is Experiencing Dating Violence...
- Offer to learn what resources are available on campus and in the community so that your friend can begin to find the help and support s/he needs.
- Focus your concerns on your friend's safety while being honest about your view of the risky behavior you have observed.
- Make it clear you are willing to help if and when your friend is ready to end the relationship.
- Point out that it is the person who is doing the battering who is 100% responsible for the violent behavior.
- Even though alcohol is often present when domestic or relationship violence occurs, it is not the underlying cause of the problem.
- Focus on the behavior, not on the excuses for the behavior.
- Allow the person who is being battered to choose the time to leave the relationship very carefully.
- If your friend returns to the relationship, ask your friend to pay attention to whether the violent behavior has actually changed enough to make it worth another try.