University Health Service (UHS)
Health Insurance for the Students
in the School of Nursing
As a full-time student in the School of Nursing's Accelerated Bachelor's Program, you participate in the comprehensive student health plan offered by the University Health Service (UHS). The health plan includes the mandatory health fee and health insurance.
- Mandatory Health Fee — This fee is paid by all full-time students. The fee covers the cost of visits to the University Health Service (UHS) and the University Counseling Center (UCC).
- Health Insurance — In addition to the mandatory health fee, all full-time students must have health insurance. You can enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance plan, or you can remain on your own insurance if it meets the University's health insurance criteria.
Completing the Online Insurance Process
The link to the Online Insurance Process is in the pink Quick Links box on the UHS home page. All full-time students must complete the Online Insurance Process during the appropriate open enrollment period. The Fall Open Enrollment period is for students who are continuing their studies and for students who are beginning their studies in the fall. The Winter Open Enrollment period is for students who are beginning their studies in January. Students who begin their full-time studies in May need to complete the insurance process in two steps. See "If you are beginning studies in May" below for details.
OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIODS:
- Fall Open Enrollment – June 7 – September 15. Students who will be full-time in the fall semester must complete the online Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process during the fall open enrollment period. Students who are beginning their full-time studies before August 1 need to complete the insurance process in two steps. See the note below.
- Winter Open Enrollment – November 7 – January 31. Students who begin their full-time studies in January must complete the online insurance process during the winter open enrollment period. Access to the Online Insurance Process is limited to students who are beginning full-time studies in January or who are returning to full-time status in January. Students who enroll during the Winter Open Enrollment period will see two charges on their tuition billing statement. The first charge will be for the month of January, and the second charge will be for February 1 through July 31.
If you are beginning studies in May:
Students who begin their full-time studies in May must complete the insurance process in two steps.
STEP 1: Complete the appropriate form to enroll or waive the insurance for the summer months (May 1-July 31).
- Aetna Student Health Insurance Enrollment FormUse this form to enroll in the Aetna Student Health insurance offered through the University Health Service. By completing this form, you will be enrolling in the insurance for the summer months (May 1-July 31). You will need to complete Step 2 below for the academic year (August 1-July 31).
- University of Rochester Insurance Waiver FormUse this form to waive the health insurance offered through the University Health Service. To waive the insurance, you must have coverage that meets University insurance criteria. Requests for waiver may be audited to assure compliance with University criteria. If approved, your waiver is effective from May 1 through July 31. You will need to complete Step 2 below for the academic year (August 1-July 31).
Send the form to the UHS Insurance Advisor by fax (585-756-0263), by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), or in person (Room 204, UHS Building on the University of Rochester River Campus).
STEP 2:Complete the Online Insurance Process to enroll or waive the insurance for the academic year (August 1-July 31).
- The second step is to complete the online Health Insurance Process for the upcoming academic year (August 1 – July 31) during Fall Open Enrollment (June 7 – September 15). The link to the Online Insurance Process will be in the pink Quick Links box on the UHS home page. The link will open by Tuesday, June 7th. The final deadline for completing the online insurance process is September 15.
About the University-Sponsored Health Insurance:
The University-sponsored insurance plan is offered by Aetna Student Health. For information about the Aetna Student Health insurance plan, check the Aetna Student Health web site. If you have a spouse and/or children who need health insurance coverage, contact the UHS Insurance Advisor at email@example.com for assistance.
Questions about Health Insurance:
If you have questions about health insurance, contact the UHS Insurance Advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org.