Skip to page content
Skip to page level navigation
University Counseling Center
Responding to the Student with Choice of Major or Career Concerns
Career Service provides comprehensive services for students who have the following issues:
For the student who is undecided about a major:
- The majority of the student population is undecided about choice of major.
- Many students will change their major several times prior to choosing one that is right for them.
- Self-exploration is the course of action for students choosing to identify a potential major. Career Services can help assist students with navigating exploration and strategizing on initiatives for students to pursue to assist them with declaring a major.
For the student who is undecided about a career path:
- Many students will choose a major but need assistance with understanding traditional and non-traditional career paths.
- Students often associate the more well known professions with their course of study and need assistance with career exploration to understand professions that they did not know existed.
- Students will often need assistance in realizing that the path to a particular career is not necessarily linear. A major in “X” does not limit you to a profession in “Y”.
For the student who is looking to gain experience or employment:
- Students may want to clarify their career goals and utilize experiential learning opportunities to confirm their choice of major and occupational interests.
- Students may need assistance with developing a comprehensive job search process utilizing various methods and resources to assist with obtaining employment.
Guide Table of Content