University Counseling Center
The UR Counseling Services
River Campus Office
University Health Service Building, 738 Library Road, 3rd Floor
HOURS: Monday – Thursday 8:30 am – 6 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
PHONE: (585) 275-3113
Eastman School Living Center, Room 107
Medical Center Satellite Office, Room 1-5091A
HOURS:Weekly appointments available
PHONE: (585) 275-3113 for appointment availablilty
24 hours/day professional on-call: (585) 275-3113
SERVICES FOR FULL-TIME STUDENTS:
The University Counseling Center (UCC) provides time limited individual and couples therapy and yearlong group therapy to members to the University of Rochester community who pay the mandatory student health fee; individual and couples therapy appointments last 45-50 minutes, while therapy groups run for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Therapy is available for a variety of problems including anxiety, depression, relationship difficulties, family problems, grief, school-related problems, and general discomfort about what’s happening in a person’s life
Our therapists are licensed professionals and professionals-in-training from a variety of mental health disciplines. They employ many treatment approaches and draw upon a wide range of training and experience in the field of psychotherapy. Our nurse practitioner and consulting psychiatrist are available to provide prescription medication in conjunction with therapy.
We are extremely careful to protect the confidentiality of our records. The University Counseling Center record is available only to those professionals directly involved with the students’ care.
Information about UCC visits will not be disclosed without a students’ permission to any University official or faculty member, or to family, friends, or roommates except in very specific circumstances. Those circumstances are limited to instances when the students’ own life or that of another person is in danger.
APPOINTMENTS – Call 275-3113:
When scheduling an appointment at the River Campus, Eastman School of Music or at the Medical Center, students should call (585)275-3113.
AFTER-HOURS EMERGENCY SERVICE:
Students who are in distress themselves or who are concerned about a friend can call the UCC after-hours emergency service. The professional-on-call can be reached 24 hours/day throughout the year by calling (585)275-3113.
Guide Table of Content
- Typical Concerns for UR Students
- What You Should Know About Student Problems
- Symptoms of Distressed or Distressing Students
- Responding to Distressed or Distressing Students
- Making a Referral to the UR Counseling Center
- Responding to Student Emergencies
- The UR Counseling Center
- Information About Confidentiality
- Mandated Risk Assessment
- Other Campus Referral Sources
- Academic Faculty: Classroom Climate and Prevention
- Responding After a Tragedy: An In-The-Classroom Guide
- The Grieving Student
- The Anxious/Shy Student
- The Student Who May Have an Eating Disorder
- The Demanding Student
- The Dependent/Passive Student
- The Depressed Student
- The Student in Poor Contact with Reality
- The Student Suspected of Substance Abuse or Addiction
- The Victim of Stalking
- The Victim of an Abusive Dating Relationship
- The Victim of a Hate Incident
- The Victim of Hazing
- The Student Who Has Been Sexually Harassed (Assaulted)
- The Suicidal Student
- The Suspicious Student
- The Verbally Aggressive Student
- The Violent Student
- The Absent/Disappeared From Class Student
- Responding to Students with Transition Issues
- Responding to the Student with Choice of Major or Career Concerns