Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu

Academic Foundation FAQs

UR Student

updated 7/1/19

Academic Foundation ECMS UR Financials company mapping Does the ECMS Academic Unit map to a UR Financials Company, or does it book to the same company as EMS in Workday Financials? ECMS rolls up to the Eastman Music School Academic Unit, which is assigned to UR Financials Company 030. Company 030 will be used for ECMS because of this relationship.
Academic Foundation AS&E Grad Calendar year-based reporting Will the structure of the Academic Calendar in UR Student and the organization of periods within Academic Years (term-based, not calendar year based) create any potential impacts on reporting yearly newly admitted students by calendar year? This question was directed to the data warehouse as longitudinal reporting for institutional research will come from the data warehouse

John Podvin confirmed that the data warehouse could be used to report a year following a Spring – Summer – Fall term structure or a Fall – Spring – Summer structure

Academic Foundation AS&E Grad Grad vs Undergrad date and refund schedules Will the differences between Drop/Add Dates and Tuition Refund schedules for graduate vs undergraduates create any impacts on the common calendar shared across the academic levels at the school? While academic date controls are typically defined at the calendar/academic period level, in situations where more granular definition is needed, they can also be defined at the course section level if needed

A number of key policies are controlled by Academic Date Controls. For a list of policies governed by Academic Date Controls, see page 16 in the Academic Foundation Design foundational document

The question was referred to the Student Records team for further consideration

Academic Foundation SON Non-standard academic period usage Regarding the SON’s RN to BS courses, which are taken in blocks within the boundaries of a term, will non-standard academic periods be used to accommodate these blocks (i.e tuition refunds) Similar to the answer to question above for AS&E Grad, non-standard academic periods, while helpful, impose other complications on setup and tuition assessment. They are typically used if the predominant number of courses require breakdown within the term. Anything that can be done at the academic period level can also be accomplished at the course section level. This might be a preferable option.

A number of key policies are controlled by Academic Date Controls. For a list of policies governed by Academic Date Controls, see page 16 in the Academic Foundation Design foundational document. These same date controls can be set at the Course Section level using the Course Section Definition | Override Course Section Date Controls related action.

The question was referred to the Student Finance team for further consideration

Academic Foundation ECMS


Courses spanning multiple Academic Periods Both ECMS and Warner inquired about courses that need to start and/or end outside of an academic period. Is there an option for a course to run from the middle of December to the end of January in UR Student? All courses must remain within the boundaries of an Academic Period within UR Student. They cannot start before the Standard Start Date nor can they end after the Standard End date. The typical start and end date for course sections within an academic period are the Actual Start and End Dates established for that period.

In order to fulfill this need, both ECSM and Warner can create two course section, one within the Fall academic period for those course dates that occur during Fall, and then a second course section within the Spring academic period for those course dates that occur during the Spring term. The student can register for the course section based on the period in which they want to receive the credits and/or use financial aid to help pay for the course.

Programs of Study AS&E Undergrad Change of Status Is CCAS (College Center for Advising Services) incorporated into the workflow for change of status and other paperwork The Workday business process will start after CCAS signs off on a student’s paperwork. The Workday BP will start when the Registrar receives signed and approved change of status paperwork.
Programs of Study AS&E Undergrad Billing Campus and Primary Designation For College-Eastman dual degree, students currently have a “primary” designation (based on financial aid package). How will we continue to manage the concept of the billing campus in UR Student? In this scenario, the primary program of study would be the program that corresponds to what has traditionally been viewed as the home campus. That means that if Eastman is the student’s home, the Eastman program code would be designated as primary, and the Academic Record would be tagged to Eastman – Undergraduate. The student would have an additional program of study with in the academic record that represented the program he/she is pursuing in the other school. This will actually be one of the examples we show in the Academic Records deck next week.

Fom a reporting perspective, you can find all of the student’s associated with a school by looking at the Owning Academic Unit at the program of study level across all active academic records

Programs of Study AS&E Undergrad Degree CompleteTiming & Coding For students who complete their degree in seven, as opposed to eight, semesters, “degree complete” is currently used as a code for these students in that eighth semester. This turns to “graduate” once the spring semester is completed and degrees are conferred. Will this work similarly or different in UR Student? Open item still under discussion by the project team.
Programs of Study AS&E Undergrad Primary program designation Does it matter which program of study has the primary designation within an academic record? Does it imply that this program is the ‘most important’? The use of term primary is not something that we can change, however we can communicate that this is just the ‘first’ program declared for a student, and it is only changed when the student alters his/her academic path. Changing the program indicated as primary only impacts the designation at an academic level for AS&E students where programs can cross A&S and Hajim, or for RC/Eastman Dual Degree students. Within UR Student, a student could request a change to switch their primary program of study designation if so desired.
Programs of Study AS&E Undergrad U/G BA Major independent completions Should Undergraduate BA Majors be able to be completed independently as is shown for Undergraduate BS Majors? The distinction exists because a student who has two BA majors/programs of study only receives one degree, while a student pursing a BS receives a different degree/diploma for each major code. Nancy has confirmed that two BA major codes cannot be conferred independently of each other – they must be conferred as a unit

We have a current ask of Workday to allow us to associate non-stand-alone programs with standalone programs at conferral (so, you could have someone graduate with a BA and complete any necessary clusters/minors at the same time based on the student meeting all aspects of the Rochester curriculum and then separately and independently complete a BS from the same academic record at a later date)

Programs of Study SON Grad Level Academic Standing Ruleset Should there be an Academic Standing Ruleset defined at the Graduate Level? There is an Academic Standing ruleset being configured for the Graduate Academic Level at the UR level (shared across all schools) – the Academic Foundation deck has been updated to reflect this

GPAs have not been configured for any graduate schools at go live due to current University policy and practice.   It would be a university registrar discussion to add the GPA calculation to the system after the cutover.

Programs of Study SON LOA documentation requirements Does the leave of absence process in UR Student change the documentation requirements when a student returns from leave of absence, even if we know the point in time at which a student will return in advance? When a student returns from leave of absence, a Request for Return from Leave of Absence must be processed in the system. The University documentation requirements are not expected to change as a result of the UR Student implementation. Liz Yockel is the contact to discuss documentation questions.
Programs of Study SMD Grad-Ed NIH / NSF taxonomy codes Will taxonomy codes for the annual NIH/NSF survey be stored in UR Student? Educational Taxonomy codes are supported in UR Student for Programs of Study. Taxonomy codes for the NIH/NSF survey could be added as a post go live activity if they can be provided at the program of study level. The taxonomy code structure would need to be added, and the programs of study could be updated by the UR Student support team to add the correct code if that information was provided. Workday does also support taxonomies at the course level, although we have not set any up at this level for our go live. This could also be applied by the school at the course level after go live if we load the taxonomy structure into the system for you. Course maintenance to apply the appropriate value to a course can be done by the school.
Programs of Study SMD Grad-Ed Visiting student department affiliations How can we store department affiliations for visiting students? We currently use the comment screen in SIS, but then can’t pull any reports, so must manually track in a shadow system. The current plan is to have school specific visiting student cohorts.   There are a handful of visiting students currently assigned to an advisor, and this could also be done if this was helpful. SMD Graduate Education could also discuss setting up cohorts at the department level with Sean Hanna, and the school could manage associating the visiting students with those cohorts.
Programs of Study SMD Grad-Ed Incomplete Program of Study reporting Will “Program of Study Status” enable us to run reports on people who have not completed a program of study (withdrew voluntarily or involuntarily)? Currently, the only withdraw date in SIS seems to be withdrawing from the whole institution? This makes it hard to easily run a list of students who have withdrawn from a program of study. For example, some of our PhD students will withdraw after receiving the Master’s en passant or will switch from a PhD to a Master’s program. Students in a combined program within a single academic record (e.g., a student who enters pursuing a PhD but leaves with a masters) – There will be an effective date for the discontinuation at a program of study level if a student drops one program within an academic record.   For a student who started as a PhD but leaves after the masters is awarded, the academic record would show a PhD program of study with an effective date at which that program was discontinued, along with a Masters program of study that is in complete status and that has a conferral date. View Programs of Study for Student will show the full history of a student’s programs of study within an Academic Record

Student in a combined MD-PhD will have two separate academic records. If the student withdraws from the PhD portion, the program of study will have a withdrawal date in the PhD academic record and the academic record itself would be set to inactive on that same date

Programs of Study SMD Grad-Ed Coordinating Academic Units What is the definition of a coordinating academic unit? SMD doesn’t have any coordinating units listed but we probably should. Not knowing the definition, my guess is that it would be the department that each program of study rolls up to. The coordinating academic unit is used to control business process approvals such as an academic requirement override (the coordinating academic unit is where the approval goes). Having them the same means that the registrar office is involved in the approval.     The system can support associating programs with the departments, but it would influence how approvals would flow and at this point would need to be considered as a post go live discussion item.
Academic Records   Pending Completion Status What does Pending Completion status mean for a program of study? A program of study is set to Pending Completion status during the completion process for a student for that program.   This typically occurs when a student applies for graduation or completion, or it can be initiated by the school if no application is required. The program of study stays in this status until the completion process is finished and the student’s program of study status is updated to Complete (graduated). There are additional Program Completion Statuses that help track the stage the student is in the completion process for each program of study (Applied for Completion, Approved for Completion, Evaluation Deferred, Denied, Program Completed). Program completion is a topic unto itself.   The Pending Completion status is helpful in that it informs an administrator that the student is in the program evaluation/graduation evaluation process.
Academic Records en Passant degrees How would we handle an en passant degree (a masters awarded en route to a PhD)? If the student was originally admitted into a PhD program, the academic record would have been created with the PhD program, and that program would serve as the primary program of study. If it is determined to award the student an en passant Masters (or a certificate, etc), the Registrar would add the Master’s program of study to the student’s academic record as an additional program of study, and would complete that Master’s program of study to award that degree. The PhD program of study would remain active and the primary program of study until it also completed.
Academic Records   Program of Study withdrawls What would happen if a student originally applied for a PhD but received an en Passant Master’s and stopped at that point? If the student was originally admitted into a PhD program, the academic record would have been created with the PhD program, and that program would serve as the primary program of study. If it is determined to award the student an en passant Masters (or a certificate, etc), the Registrar would add the Master’s program of study to the student’s academic record as an additional program of study, and would complete that Master’s program of study to award that degree. If the PhD program will no longer be completed, the student should be withdrawn (or potentially discontinued if that were determined to be used, still under discussion) from the PhD program of study. The View Programs of Study for Student page can see the history of the programs of study for a student, including the date on which a particular program was discontinued or withdrawn from.
Note that our conversion process will assign the discontinue status in UR Student to any program removed from an academic record within ISIS.
Academic Records Early term registrations Would a student with an active academic record for a future term be able to register for an earlier term in UR Student? For example, if a student were admitted for Fall 2020, and the application was received in April of that year, could the student potentially enroll for courses in Summer 2020? A student admitted for a Fall academic period is not allowed to register for a course the preceding Summer term. If the Register Student for Course task is used to attempt to register the student for a course during the summer academic period, the system will return an error message that the student is not active during the academic period. The student would also not be given the opportunity to register themselves during that academic period. The student can only add courses to his or her academic plan for the Fall academic period and future academic periods.
Academic Records   Early term registrations If a student applied and was accepted for a fall term, could that student be allowed to take classes the previous summer? The answer to this question depends on whether or not the student is changing their term of matriculation to be officially considered a summer start as opposed to the student just wanting to take a few classes early during the summer to get started early.
If a student were a fall matriculant and wanted to take a few classes early during the summer, the suggested course of action would be to add a non-matriculated academic record to the student with a summer start date using the Student Administrative Support System. The student could be registered for coursework as a non-matriculant during the summer.   The coursework could be internally articulated to the matriculated program of study once the fall term began.   Modifying the declare date for the matriculated academic record is typically not recommended if the student needs to continue to be viewed as a Fall start, as it would impact other things, such as the IPEDS cohort to which the student is attached as well as the expected ending term for which the student would be eligible for aid.
Academic Records ESM Additional or same Academic Records If an Eastman DMA student decided to add an MA in Ethnomusicology, should this be done in the same academic record, or should a new academic record be created? The answer to this question (and others like it) depends on whether or not the academic requirements between the two programs of study need to be considered as a group towards the completion of the programs. Academic Progress can only consider coursework completed within a single academic record. In the example, according to Eastman, the DMA and the MA would share certain requirements, so the MA should be added as an additional program of study to the existing academic record for the DMA. The Registrar can administratively add the MA program of study to the record. From a conversion perspective, students with an MA and a DMA are being converted into a single academic record with both programs of study only if both programs were active at the same time (the MA was added prior to the DMA completing).
If the two programs in question were completely separate with no shared requirements, the additional program could be sent to UR Student on a new application from the appropriate admissions system, and a new academic record would be created.
Courses Contact Hours How are contact hours used in the system? We are not using contact hours at go live in UR Student. Workday has confirmed for us that contact hours do not currently drive any processing in the system, however they do plan on adding additional functionality in this area in the future.
Courses All Public vs Private Notes How and where are public notes vs. public notes available to view in the system?
Courses SMD Grad-Ed Placeholder course usage for load status and financial aid status How is load status and financial aid load going to account for students with less than full time academic credit, but have T/A or other credits to substantiate full time status? Placeholder courses and registrations will be used to report load status for students when the student is not earning sufficient academic credit to account for the load status that is appropriate (typically full time status). Examples would include continuation of enrollment, teaching assistantships, etc.   For these courses, Other Unit Values would be set to yes, with the appropriate number of unit equivalencies for Financial Aid load purposes defined to substantiate enrollment reporting.
In the example below, this graduate level Master’s Dissertation placeholder course has no academic units of credit defined, but does have 12 units of Financial Aid load. A student with a registration in this course would be reported to the National Student Clearinghouse as Full Time Status.
Courses Course Approval Process What is the course creation approval process, and is it different by Academic Unit? The course approval process in UR Student is defined separately for the College of Arts, Sciences & Engineering vs the rest of the university.

Overall process – Courses would only be entered into UR Student once the school has completed their curriculum/approval process and have determined that the course can be offered.   Courses entered in the system would be approved by the academic unit registrar to ensure that the course was setup correctly. Once that approval is complete, the Bursar’s office would assign course fees as necessary.

College of Arts, Sciences & Engineering – Courses would be entered by an academic department only when that department and its curriculum review procedures are complete and the department has determined to offer a course. Once the course was entered by the department, the entry would be reviewed by a Dean’s Approver (currently Alan Czaplicki for undergraduate courses and Gretchen Briscoe for graduate courses) to allow for review of how the course fits into the overall curricular landscape. After the Dean’s Approver review, the AS&E Registrar would review and approve the course to ensure it was setup correctly for system processing.   Once that approval is complete, the Bursar’s office would assign course fees as necessary.

Courses Course Description Course Schedule System (CDCS) Will CDCS still be utilized as our course catalog? The CDCS system will continue to be used as a public facing course review mechanism. As UR Student requires a user to be Shibboleth authenticated, it cannot be used by a prospective student to review academic course offerings.   Course section data will be integrated to CDCS from UR Student until the Workday Student software is enhanced to allow for this capability.
From February 2020 through the end of the summer term, course sections for Spring and Summer 2020 will continue to be maintained in CDCS. Course sections for Fall 2020 forward will be maintained directly in UR Student.
Courses Course Syllabi Will a course syllabus be able to be viewed in UR Student? The Workday Student software does not current support the ability to attach a course syllabus to a course section.   While there are document management capabilities in other sections of the Workday software, it has not yet been added to the course administration space.
Courses Locations How will on campus and off campus location be utilized in UR Student? The individual instructional locations (classrooms) attached to a course section must be defined in the system as belonging to the campus to which the course is attached. Multiple Allowed Locations can be defined for a course if that course is taught on two campuses.
Off Campus locations can be tracked in UR Student. The following campuses can be associated with a course as an Allowed Location.
Campuses (defined as Allowed to Offer on a Course):
• River Campus
• Medical Campus
• Eastman Campus
• UR Locations Only in Workday
The “UR Locations Only in Workday” campus include instructional locations that are not currently tracked in UR Space.     These instructional locations live only in Workday student. Examples include:
• School 33 Onsite
• East High School Onsite
• Christchurch Onsite
• Mount Hope Family Center Onsite
Note that an Excel workbook will be provided to Registrars at cutover that maps each instructional location in ISIS to the equivalent instructional location in the UR Student system.
Courses Course Section Title on the Transcript How will course sections be represented on the official UR transcript? The UR Student transcript will use the Abbreviated Title from the Course Section Definition on the transcript.   Only the first 30 characters will display on the transcript.   If the Abbreviated Title is longer than 30 characters, only the first 30 characters will display.
Courses Typical Periods Offered For Academic Planning purposes, can students (and advisors) see when a given course will be offered in the future? UR Student allows for the designation of typical periods offered on a course definition. This information is helpful to students when they are developing an Academic Plan as the student can understand in which terms a school typically offers a course section for the course. The school must still schedule a section for the course within the academic period; there is no automated mechanism to ensure that the course section schedule conforms to the typical periods offered. The values available in UR Student for Typical Periods Offered include:
• Fall
• Fall (even)
• Fall (odd)
• Fall A
• Fall B
• Pre-Fall
• Spring
• Spring (even)
• Spring (odd)
• Spring A
• Spring B
• Summer
• Summer (even)
• Summer (odd)
• Summer A
• Summer B
• Year
Courses Course Roll Who will have the authority to roll courses from one term to the next? The Course Roll is an automated process that allows a central user to copy course sections from one academic term to another academic term. The course roll process currently is completed in the University Registrar’s office and will remain so with the implementation of UR Student.
Course Sections Student vs Admin view of course sections How is the security being setup to allow administrators vs students to see course and section information:
Course Sections Admin login as Student Can an administrator login as a student in the system? Workday provides a feature called ‘Proxy’ in their test systems. This allows a user to log in on behalf of another active user in the system (that individual must have a login as well). This allows us to test things like business processes, where multiple individuals play a role in completing a business event, and you have to be able to log in and complete those activities as that individual as a part of testing. This also allows you to see how the system functions for different user roles.   This is very helpful when testing new features or during the project itself. However, the proxy feature is NOT allowed in any production tenant with Workday, but will be available in our “test” tenant.
Each student in the system shares the same security designation (called Student as Self), so you can sometimes find someone else to log in to see a similar, if not the exact view.   The system also copies back to the test system every weekend, so you can at least see what that person saw the prior week if you proxy into the test system.
As per Workday, their system is designed so that the administrator should see exactly what the student is seeing plus more so there shouldn’t be the need to access the “student view” in production for troubleshooting purposes.
Course Sections Employee as a Student Views If an individual is both a student and an employee (worker), can we see that in the system?

The UR Financials system has a record for all paid employees (excluding student workers and affiliates) since 2015 (when UR Financials was implemented). We use URID to match employees to students, and that individual shares a ‘person record’ in the system.

When you look at a student in the system, you can see that the student is also a Worker (employee). You can drill through to the Worker (employee) record:

If you look at the employee side, you would see a similar presentation. You can drill through into the student side:

Course Sections Employee as a Student login If an individual is both a student and an employee, what do they see when they log in as that student? If an individual logging into the UR Student system is also a paid employee and therefore has an account in UR Financials, that individual will see applications on their home page for both Student as well as UR Financials.   In the example below, the applications related to UR Student (green boxes) include Finances, Academics and Teaching (as Sharon has an academic appointment in the system as an instructor).   The applications related to UR Financials (purple boxes) include Financial Reports, Financials Dashboard and Procurement.