Undergraduate Research Presentation Awards (Conference Funding)
Presentation Awards are given to UR undergraduate students who are presenting their research at academic conferences.
What can I do with a Presentation Award?
The award can be used to fund conference registration, travel, lodging, and food expenses.
How much funding can I get?
Individual students can be awarded up to $500 for domestic travel or $1000 for international travel. Students can receive up to two awards per academic year.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for a Presentation Award if:
- you are a UR undergraduate student in a degree-granting program;
- you are not on academic or disciplinary probation, or on a leave of absence or suspension;
- your research has been accepted for presentation at an academic conference.
When should I
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit your application at least 30 days in advance of travel.
How do I apply?
Requests must be accompanied by a Presentation Award Application and the following:
- a formal written request explaining where and when you want to go and what you plan to present, including a brief explanation as to why this would be an enriching opportunity for you;
- a description of your project;
- a link to the conference web site;
- a budget;
- a summary of your department's/advisor's share of the cost of this trip;
- your resume;
- an informal copy of your transcript.
Send all materials to the Office of Undergraduate Research at UnderGradResearch@ur.rochester.edu. In addition, you will need to request a letter of support from your research advisor or other UR full-time faculty member be sent separately to the Office of Undergraduate Research.
Before applying for funding through the Office of Undergraduate Research, you will be expected to have already requested funding from your department/advisor.
If you are a SENIOR, you may NOT apply for funding for any conference that takes place AFTER graduation; all travel must be undertaken while still a UR undergraduate.
This award program is intended to run in a cost-sharing mode, i.e. we hope to see the traveling student, mentor, and/or host department sharing roughly half the cost. To guide your expectations, except under unusual circumstances we will provide no more than $500 for domestic conferences and no more than $1000 for international conferences.