Undergraduate Research Presentation Awards (Conference Funding)
Presentation Awards are given to UR undergraduate students who are presenting their research at academic conferences.
What can I do with a Presentation Award?
The award can be used to fund conference registration, travel, lodging, and food expenses.
How much funding can I get?
Individual students can be awarded up to $500 for domestic travel or $1000 for international travel. Students can receive up to two awards per academic year.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for a Presentation Award if:
- you are a UR undergraduate student in a degree-granting program;
- you are not on academic or disciplinary probation, or on a leave of absence or suspension;
- your research has been accepted for presentation at an academic conference.
When should I apply?
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit your application at least 30 days in advance of travel.
How do I apply?
Requests must be accompanied by a Presentation Award Application and the following:
- a formal written request explaining where and when you want to go and what you plan to present, including
- a brief explanation as to why this would be an enriching opportunity for you;
- a description of your project;
- a link to the conference web site;
- a budget;
- a summary of your department's/advisor's share of the cost of this trip;
- your resume;
- an informal copy of your transcript;
- a letter of support from your research advisor or faculty member, sent separately to the Office of Undergraduate Research.
Send all materials to the Office of Undergraduate Research at UnderGradResearch@ur.rochester.edu.
Before applying for funding through the Office of Undergraduate Research, you will be expected to have already requested funding from your department/advisor.
If you are a SENIOR, you may NOT apply for funding for any conference that takes place AFTER graduation; all travel must be undertaken while still a UR undergraduate.
This award program is intended to run in a cost-sharing mode, i.e. we hope to see the traveling student, mentor, and/or host department sharing roughly half the cost. To guide your expectations, except under unusual circumstances we will provide no more than $500 for domestic conferences and no more than $1000 for international conferences.