Hopeman Memorial Carillon
2015 Fall Carillon Events
- Orientation student concert, Tuesday August 25 at 9:30-10 pm
- Friday, September 11 Memorial Concert at 5:30-6 pm
- Senior Community Welcome tour of Rush Rhees Library Rare books and noon carillon concert on September 17 (contact doris.aman @gmail.com for details)
- Meliora Weekend concerts:
- Ring the Wild Bells: Gold October 8 at 5 pm
- Ring the Wild Bells: Silver October 9 at 5 pm
- Ring the Wild Bells: Bronze October 10 at 12 noon
- Hopeman Carillon Open House, Saturday October 10 at 1 pm, meet Q&i desk in Rush Rhees Library
note: performance dates are subject to change
The Hopeman Memorial Carillon, a set of bells played from a keyboard and pedalboard, hangs in the tower of Rush Rhees Library. It is one of only seven carillons in New York State. At 50 bells, it is considered a large carillon; by comparison the world's largest carillon in Bloomfield, Michigan has 77 bells. Carillonist Doris Aman and her students perform frequently throughout the year and especially to mark major university events. Contact Doris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in playing the carillon? Community residents may now take lessons at Eastman Community Music School. ECMS offers their community of music students a carillon tour once each semester to see the carillon close up. Space limitations apply.
For more information or to make a donation, contact Jimmy Warlick in the Music Department at (585) 275-2828.
A view up the bell tower...