To set up your alumni email account, powered by Gmail, please follow the steps below:
- Logout of any existing Google or Gmail accounts.
- Login or register on the alumni portal, and navigate to your profile.
- Once logged in, look for the ‘Rochester Gmail’ tab. Expand this, and it will show if an existing Gmail account is active. If it is blank, click ‘EDIT’.
- Choose which account you’d prefer, urgrad.rochester.edu or alum.urmc.rochester.edu and fill in the desired username (for example if alumni1234 is the desired username, the email account would be: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click ‘Save’
Once you click save, please allow up to 30 seconds for the form to process your new account. If your username already exists, an alert will display asking you to try another username.
- Upon completion, you will receive an email to the email address that’s listed as your primary preferred email in the RAX profile and it will ask you to set a permanent password for the new Gmail account (see below). Please create a new password, and click ‘Change password’.
- In order to complete your account, and be directed to your new account, you must read and agree to Google’s Terms of Service.
Note: We are aware, and want to make you aware, that embedded in Google’s Terms of Service is language that indicates that domain administrators have access to your account information and data. We want to reiterate that this is not an administrative feature that is available to our IT staff, nor do we intend to turn it on to make it available. Unfortunately, this specific language through Google is out of our control and unchangeable.
Additional resources for using your University of Rochester alumni email account: