2018 VOLUNTEERS TOOLKIT
What is Meliora Weekend?
Meliora Weekend is an annual celebration of the best of the University of Rochester. Combining Family Weekend, Reunions, Homecoming, world-renowed talent, and faculty and student showcases, October 4–7 will offer something exciting for everyone. For details and a full listing of this year’s events, visit rochester.edu/melioraweekend.
Who is Meliora Weekend for?
Everyone! Meliora Weekend is designed for University of Rochester alumni, parents, friends, faculty, staff, and students. Members of the Rochester community are also welcome!
Is there anything special for volunteers at Meliora Weekend?
Yes! We’re grateful for your leadership and involvement with the University and its Medical Center. To show our appreciation, we’ve got some special programs planned for our Volunteers in Partnership (VIPs):
VIP Welcome Reception
Thursday, October 4 | 6:30–8:00 p.m. | River Campus: Fraternity Quadrangle
Our 4,000+ volunteers embody the spirit of Meliora every day. Because of you, our community is 'ever better' and we want to show our gratitude for all that you’ve helped us achieve. Join us in the Fraternity Quad as we say thanks and kick off Meliora Weekend! The event is complimentary and includes an open bar with hearty hors d'oeuvres. Advance registration is requested.
George Eastman Circle Hospitality Suite
Saturday, October 6 | 8:30 a.m.–6 p.m | Welles-Brown Room, Rush Rhees Library
Enjoy special access all day Saturday. Visit the suite to enjoy food, drink, and a comfortable place to rest and catch up with friends between events. Guests are welcome.
Sunday, October 7 | 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. | Larry and Cindy Bloch Alumni and Advancement Center: Fairbank Lounge
Join fellow volunteers to wrap up Meliora Weekend with breakfast and conversation. We value your feedback on your Meliora Weekend experience, and hope you will drop by to share your thoughts. Do you have a friend that’s interested in volunteering? Bring them along to learn about the various ways to get involved! This event is complimentary.
As a volunteer, how can I help?
- Register for Meliora Weekend! We would love to have our volunteers join us for this incredible event.
- Spread the word! Let your family and friends know about this year’s festivities by sharing on social media, picking up the phone, or sending an email asking them to join us this October.
- Links should only be included with Facebook posts, as they are not clickable in Instagram unless placed in your bio. If posting to Instagram, use #linkinthebio, or “Link in my bio” in copy, and then place the URL in your profile.
- On Facebook, make sure your posts are “Public”. Even if your account is private, you can still determine who sees your posts through a drop-down menu beneath your name.
- Share videos and posts from the University of Rochester Alumni Facebook and Instagram
- I registered for Meliora Weekend! Have you? Register today rochester.edu/melioraweekend. #URMW18
- Heading back to UR this October! Join me and register today for Meliora Weekend rochester.edu/melioraweekend. #URMW18
- Can’t wait to see fellow volunteers at Meliora Weekend! Will you join us? #URMW18 #URVIP
Celebrating your Reunion?
- I’m celebrating my (year) reunion this October at Meliora Weekend! #URreunion #URMW18
- Can’t wait to celebrate with classmates! Join me and register today rochester.edu/melioraweekend. #URreunion #URMW18
- Calling all UR Class of (class year) friends: Meliora Weekend registration is open! Bring it home to Rochester for our reunion! #URMW18
Suggested messaging for emails and phone calls:
- Meliora Weekend 2018 is October 4-7. Bring it home to reconnect, reminisce, and enjoy the biggest celebration of the year!
- You can register online at: rochester.edu/melioraweekend.
- 2018 Headliners are: Soledad O’Brien, Ron Chernow, Michael Steele, Pink Martini, and Nasim Pedrad
- Enhanced Meliora Village at the River Campus, featuring carnival games, Kids Village, food trucks, and live music and student performances both Friday and Saturday. Access to Meliora Village is included with your Meliora Weekend Pass!
- New and improved registration website. Registration is now easier than ever!
- Going Paperless! This year, guests will check in at registration kiosks available at all 4 campuses (School of Medicine and Dentistry, School of Nursing, Eastman School of Music, and River Campus). A personalized badge will print with a custom QR code containing all registration information; this code also serves as a “ticket” for events. The back of the badge will include your selected Meliora Weekend itinerary!