Skip to main content

Policies & Procedures


International Students

The University of Rochester values the diversity of a global campus and encourages international students to apply. International applicants are required to submit the same application materials and take the same entrance tests as US citizens, but will also need to provide proof of financial support and English language proficiency.

At the University of Rochester, admission to Arts, Sciences and Engineering is based on a holistic review process that includes a “test-flexible” philosophy. As we seek to enroll a diverse and talented class each year, our review procedures incorporate a variety of factors, including many kinds of academic records. In addition to submitting a record of courses and grades during secondary school, applicants must show evidence of preparation through examination results.

A wide variety of test results can fulfill this requirement, including:

  • SAT reasoning exams
  • ACT
  • SAT subject exams (two or more results)
  • Advanced Placement
  • International Baccalaureate
  • AS- and A-level exams (in UK and Commonwealth countries); Gao Kao (China); results from many other national secondary exams

Standardized test results may appear on high school transcripts, but scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to be considered official. Please note that for International Baccalaureate (IB), submission of test results should come as a signed and dated letter of predicted IB scores from the IBO coordinator on campus. Admission offers made based on predicted IB and A-level results may be revoked in summer if the final results are not a close match for the predicted values.

If your native language is not English and you completed your secondary or higher education in a non-native English speaking country, you must take a test of English language proficiency. In some instances, admission to the University will be contingent upon participation in the University’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program. Applicants to the University can choose one of three language proficiency examinations to submit to the Office of Admissions: the TOEFL, the IELTS, or the PTE Academic. To have ETS send your TOEFL results to the University of Rochester, use school code 2928.

If you meet one or more of the following criteria, you may request a waiver of the English proficiency examination requirement by emailing the Office of Admissions.

  • You are a native speaker of English in your home environment.
  • You completed three or more years of secondary education at an American or International School where English is the primary language of instruction.
  • You are a transfer applicant who has completed a year or more of college-level courses taught in the United States, including at least one writing-intensive course.

The University offers merit-based scholarships annually to highly qualified applicants. In some cases, the University will work with students and their families to identify additional financial resources to make it possible for the student to attend.

Return to Admissions Policies

 | College Credit for Prior Coursework