Additional Career Options
The knowledge and fundamental skills gained through studies in engineering and science—such as logical thinking, problem solving, and strong quantitative skills—can easily transfer into many other professions.
Sample Career Areas
- Consulting: Sharing of expertise with organizations to help improve business performance. Areas include management, strategy, technology, finance, marketing, and more. More information can be found on our consulting community page; also see the Vault consulting guides (see below for access instructions).
- Education and teaching: STEM majors can teach science, math, engineering, and computer science in private and public schools; with an advanced degree, at the college level.
- Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurs are leaders, investors, and inventors who launch and run businesses, such as startups and small businesses. Be sure to connect with the Ain Center for Entrepreneurship.
- Environmental health and safety: Prevention and elimination of injury and illness to employees and assist companies in complying with health and safety laws. Take a look at EHScareers.
- Logistics, operations and supply chain: Management of productivity, quality, and efficiency. Check out the professional association for supply chain management, APICS.
- Patent law and intellectual property: Research and licensing of inventions and proprietary technology; settling of patent disputes. The US Patent and Trademark Office employs many patent examiners.
- Product management and marketing: Communication of a product’s value to the marketplace and customer base.
- Regulatory affairs: Coordination and documentation of internal regulatory processes to comply with government regulations, particularly within industries such as pharmaceuticals, medical devices, energy and environmental services. Check out the Regulatory Affairs Professional Society.
- Scientific and technical writing: Creation of instruction manuals and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information in an understandable manner to customers, designers, and manufacturers. TechCommJobs is a great site that posts jobs in this field.
- Sustainability: Includes the systems and processes that contribute to the quality of the environment on a long-term basis.
- Technical sales: Preparation and delivery of technical presentations explaining products or services to current and prospective customers. Check out SalesEngineer.com.
**Be sure to check out other career communities relating to your interests and the resources posted there!
Vault Access Instructions
The link to create a free Vault account and access the guides referenced above is located within Handshake in the Resources section.