We recognize the unique career development needs of master’s and doctoral students, as well as postdoctoral fellows. These include support for the transition to a career outside of academia and access to employers seeking graduate-level candidates. Our services at the Career Center include:
- Career Advising: Work with a career advisor who specializes in your field on goal setting, job or internship search, or applying for further study.
- Drop-Ins: Come visit our office for a 15-minute meeting with our staff or a peer career advisor—perfect for an initial resume or cover letter review. Monday–Friday, 1:00–4:00 p.m., no appointment necessary.
- Workshops: Learn about a variety of topics, such as resume and cover letter writing, networking, and interviewing. See our calendar for a list of upcoming workshops.
- Career Fairs: Meet face-to-face with employers at our on- and off-campus fairs.
- On-Campus Interviews: Apply to be considered for an interview with employers who visit campus throughout the year to recruit Rochester students. Watch your email for opportunities, and submit your application through Handshake.
Graduate students and postdoctoral candidates may also access the following free resources:
- Handshake: The University’s portal to job and internship postings, on-campus interviewing opportunities, events, workshops, and more.
- VersatilePhD: For graduate students considering non-academic careers.
- UR BEST Program: For biomedical PhD students and postdocs seeking employment outside of academia.
- Career Center Toolkit: For all graduate students looking for tips on networking, resume writing and starting a job search, as well as information for international students.