Skip to main content

Advising Handbook


(See the Undergraduate Bulletin)

A. Transferring to the University of Rochester

Transfer students from other colleges and universities must satisfy all requirements for graduation. Academic advisors are available to assist transfers with their concerns.  Please note in particular the special cluster provisions created for transfer students.

It is possible that a transfer student will have extreme difficulty in meeting all requirements for graduation. If this is the case, he/she should contact a faculty advisor or an academic advisor to discuss the problem. After careful consideration, a petition stating the student’s case may be presented to the Administrative Committee through the Center for Advising Services in Lattimore. The student will receive an answer in writing.

Financial aid is available to transfer students. Application forms for financial aid and information are available from the Financial Aid Office in Wallis Hall.

Students admitted with advanced standing from other colleges and universities, or with credit earned as a non-matriculated student at UR, must attend the Transfer Orientation Program to assist them in registering and adapting to a new college environment.

NOTE:  No more than six courses (24 credit hours) may be transferred to a College degree program by students whose first experience at the UR is as a non-matriculated student. (Students who were previously matriculated and then register for UR coursework as a non-matriculated student are ineligible to use these courses toward a degree without paying the difference in tuition.)

See also Enrollment Policy and Residency Requirement.

B. Transferring out of the University

Students who are thinking about transferring out of the University are encouraged to discuss their plans with their pre-major or faculty advisor, class dean, or an academic advisor in the Center for Advising Services. Information and referrals from the Center may be given in an attempt to facilitate the transfer, or to resolve problems at Rochester that may have prompted a desire to transfer. An exit interview, important for both student and College, is expected to take place in the Center for Advising Services for every student who intends to withdraw or to declare “inactive status.” 

Students needing a recommendation from the dean of the College when transferring to another university may present their written request to the Center for Advising Services.