Skip to main content

Campus Life



Visiting and exchange students who will be studying at the University for eight weeks or more participate in the Student Health Program, which includes the mandatory health fee and health insurance. You receive the same services as University of Rochester full-time students.

For more information see the University Health services' visiting students page.


We offer 10 dining locations on the River Campus. Hours vary during the summer, so please see the campus dining site for the most updated information.

You can also visit the eateries in College Town or stop by the Tasty Tuesday food trucks.


Students are able to live on campus during the summer. For more information, see the resident life summer housing page.

Student ID (OneCard)

Once you have registered, you must obtain a University of Rochester student ID (OneCard). Please visit the ID Office, which is the Customer Service Office located on the first floor of Susan B. Anthony Hall to get your picture taken and get your ID.

The University provides identification cards free of charge [?] for all registered students. This card also serves as your library card.

For more information about your ID and hours of operation for the Customer Service Office, please visit the OneCard site or call (585) 275-3975.


Parking permits are required to park on the River Campus between 7:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Students may purchase permits to allow them to park their car on campus. To obtain a permit, please visit the Parking Office at 70 Goler House. Please have your license plate number, car registration, and student ID card with you.

Prices vary based on the time of day, lot of choice, and frequency of use. More information on parking permits and hours of operation may be found at the parking website or you can call (585) 275-3983.

Buses and Shuttles

Buses and shuttles are free for University of Rochester ID cardholders for certain lines.

Buses do not operate on University holidays. For more information and the most recent bus schedules, please visit the shuttle page on the parking site.

The Green Line operates on Wednesdays and Saturdays. It include stops at Wegmans, Marketplace Mall, Walmart, Target, and Regal Cinemas. Pick-ups and drop-offs are behind Rush Rhees Library.

The Brown Line operate Monday through Friday. it include stops at the Eastman Living Center, Whipple Park, and the South Wedge.

Shuttle schedules can be easily tracked using an app on your smartphone. 

For more information, please contact the University’s Department of Transportation and Parking Management. 

8 a.m. –5 p.m.
(585) 275-5953

AFTER 5 p.m.
(585) 235-6670

Buses DO NOT operate on University holidays.

Forgot something on a bus line? Call Lost/Found at (585) 235-6670.


Andrea Walton
Transportation Manager
(585) 275-5953


Public Safety officers patrol University properties 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

The University maintains an extensive network of over 500 interior and exterior public access telephones located throughout campus. You can call the Public Safety Communication Center for assistance any time of the day or night from any of these phones.

In an emergency:

  • Dial x13 from any University phone
  • Pick up a Blue Light Emergency Phone
  • Dial #413 from AT&T or Verizon cell phones

An officer will be sent to your location right away. Local police, fire, or ambulance agencies will be notified as needed.

To request one of our non-emergency services, call (585) 275-3333; a dispatcher is on hand 24 hours a day to answer calls.

Athletics and Recreation

The Goergen Athletic Center is open all summer long. You must be a matriculated full-time undergraduate student, graduate student, or an R Club member to use the Goergen Athletic Center. Membership is available for an extra fee. For more information about facilities and R Club memberships, visit the athletics site.


Chase Bank provides full-service banking for students and all employees of the University community. Chase Bank is conveniently located in the lower level of Todd Union on the River Campus. Todd Union is open year-round Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Career Services

Currently, registered students can use the resources available in the Gwen M. Greene Center for Career Education and Connections. The Hyman J. V. Goldberg Career Library contains online and published resources that can assist those seeking to set goals, explore career and internship options, and enhance job search skills. Counselors can address questions pertaining to careers, internships, or job searches. To learn more about all the services available, visit the Gwen M. Greene Career Education and Connections online or in Dewey Hall.

Interfaith Chapel

The Interfaith Chapel is where people come to celebrate their faiths and beliefs. The chapel is busy with study groups, prayer sessions, and services for a variety of communities. A schedule is available from the Chapel Office by visiting their website.


The River Campus Libraries offer a world-class research collection, including books, journals, and databases, as well as a wide array of digital media, and a host of services designed to support the needs of students, faculty, and researchers. Rush Rhees Library primarily services academic departments in the humanities and social sciences, and is home to a number of special libraries and collections, including the:

  • Art and Music Library
  • Business and Government Information Library
  • Department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation
  • Rossell Hope Robbins Library, which specializes in medieval studies

Carlson Science and Engineering Library, located in the heart of the science and technology quad, supports the needs of faculty and students in the science and engineering disciplines. A separate library in Bausch and Lomb Hall is dedicated to physics, optics, and astronomy. For more information, including hours of operation, please visit the libraries website.  

Post Office

Located in Todd Union on the River Campus, the Campus Post Office is a privately run station of the United States Postal Service (USPS). The USPS contracts the University to sell postage and money orders, as well as handle special service mail such as express, certified, registered, and insured.

The Campus Mail Center accepts cash, check, Student Flex cards, and departmental blue requisitions for all services and purchases.