Social Impact & Entrepreneurship Program
Study, live, and work in our nation’s capital. Open to all majors, the University of Rochester's Social Impact and Entrepreneurship Program is an opportunity for Rochester students to spend the fall semester in Washington DC, learning about social entrepreneurship through courses and cutting-edge internship experiences. Students in this program will be able to:
- Participate in a real-world, challenging internship experience
- Build their resume and network
- Meet new people and create lifelong relationships
The Social Impact and Entrepreneurship Program is partnering with The Washington Center (TWC) to provide:
- Internship development—TWC has over 40 years’ experience in offering academic internships in Washington, DC.
- Staff, services, and space—with a staff of 90, TWC hosts more than 2,000 students annually and provides turnkey students services, as well as state-of-the-art classroom facilities.
- Connections—the program will benefit from TWC’s on-the-ground administrative infrastructure, and provides extensive expertise and connections to organizations working around the globe in social innovation.
- Residential facilities—live with students from around the globe. Stay in newly renovated dorms in the heart of Washington DC.
Students in this program will earn a total of 16 credit hours, eight for the internship and four for the two required courses. The program includes classes on social entrepreneurship, guest lecturers, and site visits. The credit hours can be used to satisfy a social sciences cluster.
Students will attend two courses on social entrepreneurship at state of the art academic facilities. Courses are designed to provide a practical understanding of the social entrepreneurial ecosystem and will develop leadership, communication, and strategic thinking skills.
Intern at local, national, and international governmental agencies, non-profits, and private enterprises. Gain practical social entrepreneurial experience at world-renowned institutions.
Students must meet the following requirements to participate in the Social Impact and Entrepreneurship Program:
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- At least sophomore standing
- Not your final semester at the University
- Making satisfactory progress toward completing a degree
- No missing or incomplete grades from previous semesters
Students on academic probation, disciplinary probation, or who have disciplinary action pending against them are ineligible. Poor academic performance in the semester prior to the Social Impact and Entrepreneurship Program may jeopardize student eligibility.
How to Apply
Students interested in applying to the UR Social Impact & Entrepreneurship Program in Washington DC are advised to take the following steps:
- Attend an info session or schedule a meeting with Alissa Clark by e-mailing email@example.com
- Speak with your academic advisor to make sure the credits will transfer properly into your course of study
- Begin the online application, for instructions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meet with Professor Mike Wohl to discuss your plans, review your application
- Submit your application by the due date (scroll down to "dates and deadlines" on the linked page)
Faculty Contact Information
Mike Wohl, Program Director
For additional information, please email campus liaison Alissa Clark at email@example.com.