For students getting around can feel hard however there are tons of options. All shuttle services for during the semester and for semester breaks can be found on the University of Rochester Parking and Transportation website.
If you are just looking to go the scenic route by the most sustainable and fit form of Transportation, try the City Cycles bike program and take a ride on the canal path or to the many of the local areas of interest like the South Wedge, Park Avenue or to the Corn Hill area downtown.
More information about on-campus transportation options is listed below:
- Student Activities Van Program
- Enterprise Rental Car
- College Bus Charter Service
- City Cycles Program
- Shuttle Bus Service
- Zipcar Program
For even more transportation options view our: Transportation Information Sheet [pdf]
Wilson Commons Student Activities has three 8 passenger vans available for use by SA recognized student groups for social, academic and cultural events. Other departments and users are subject to approval by the Transportation Coordinator and WCSA's Associate Director. All van requests should be made at least one week before the event and must have an approved driver listed before an application for van use can be accepted. Driver approval is a yearly process and is required to be done at least one week before the rental of a van for any events. Driver approval is done by obtaining a copy of the drivers motor vehicle record (MVR) from their state and by reading and signing a safer driver packet. To complete this process, see the Beverly Buscemi, the Transportation Coordinator in 101i Wilson Commons. Payment for obtaining an MVR is the responsibility of the student, or staff requesting it and is due at the time of service. Payment for an MVR can be made by either cash or flex or blue requisition. To fill out a van request form, click on the link below and print and complete the form. Bring the completed van requests form to Beverly Buscemi, the Transportation Coordinator. Users must list which group and account the van charges will be billed to. Van use is limited to a 25 mile radius of Rochester. Trips that exceed that amount must have explicit approval from an Associate Director of Wilson Commons. Mileage charges are at the rate of $.56 per mile. Any NON-SA recognized groups or departments are subject to the van rental fee of $35 for the first 4 hours, $8 for every hour thereafter and $.56 per mile. Cancellations must be thru email to Beverly Buscemi at least 12 to 24 hours before the event. Non-cancellation fees may apply at the rate of $5 per day.
Enterprise Car Rental offers a special rate to University of Rochester staff and students. Some restrictions do apply. Must state whether for Business or Personal use. If using for personal use, you must purchase insurance separately as it is not available. Visit www.enterprise.com to find out more or contact Enterprise directly: Ask for Emily Sagona 585-235-2999. UR Discount Account #29A3292.
Bus Charter services are available for special group events. Rates are hourly, with minimum of 2 hours use. Roundtrip and continuous loop transportation is available. Click the link below to use the form fill-able charter requests form. Contact Andrea Walton - email email@example.com or call (585) 275-5953.
City Cycles is a great bicycle lending library and allows full-time undergrad students and Goergen Athletic Center members to borrow a bike for 24 hours to go sightseeing, shopping or even do some serious biking. To find out more about the program and make reservations go to sa.rochester.edu/citycycles/.
Get a Ride: University Shuttles Offer Convenience and Accessibility
Get connected in, around, and between campuses when you get a ride on the University's shuttle fleet. Convenience and gas savings abound with these shuttle lines available to get you to and from UR and URMC destinations.
- Blue Line - running between Whipple Park and River Campus, this University shuttle picks up on River Campus at Rush Rhees Library, the Towers, and Wilmot, and stops at the School of Medicine (SMD), East Drive and Goler, Helen Wood Hall, University Park, the Laser Lab, and Whipple Park. Buses are available daily.
- College Town Express - a weekend-only service, this shuttle line runs from Rush Rhees to College Town on Mt. Hope Avenue with stops at the Towers, Wilmot, SMD, and East Drive/Goler.
- Gold Line Riverview Direct - this weekday line travels between Rush Rhees Library, Brooks Crossing, Riverview Apartments Building C, Spruce Avenue and Genesee Street, and Wilson Blvd. at Hutchison Road from 7:28 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Gold Line 19th Ward - this line operates nightly into the 19th Ward area and stops at Riverview & Brooks Crossing Apartments
- Green Line
- Tuesdays & Wednesdays - offers access from campus to College Town, the Tops Plaza, and Costco from 5:00 pm - 8:45 pm
- Saturdays - offers easy access from River Campus to popular local destinations including Marketplace Mall, Wegmans, Target, Wal-Mart and Regal Cinemas a separate line on Saturdays in the early fall and late spring offers service from the River Campus and the Eastman School of Music to the Rochester Public Market
- Sundays - service from River Campus to Tops Plaza, Twelve Corners, Clover Lanes, and Pittsford Plaza
- Orange Line - daily morning and evening service available with weekday and weekend schedules covering River Campus to Downtown Housing
- Red Line - Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:35 p.m., this shuttle runs direct from Eastman Living Center to Rush Rhees Library on River Campus (the Orange Line stops at Eastman after 6:30 p.m. and on weekends)
- Silver Line - Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to midnight, this shuttle runs continuously between the Park Lot, Wilson Blvd. at Hutchison Rd., Rush Rhees Library, and Wilmot
Shuttle schedules change periodically, including holidays and school breaks, so check the Transportation website for the most recent schedules or contact the Parking Management Center.
Rides are Free with Campus ID
All shuttles are free with a University ID so be ready to swipe your UR ID as you embark on your journey. Swiping helps ensure transportation services are meeting demand, and it supports a safe and secure environment for riders.
Where's My Shuttle?
Wonder no more… University shuttles are outfitted with real-time tracking equipment. Simply go to the Transloc site on your computer or smartphone, or download the free smartphone app to see the buses on a map. Live tracking, arrival predictions, and proximity alerts are also available for all University bus lines.
Take Your Wheels on the Shuttle
Shuttles are cycle-friendly. Most University Shuttles have racks on the front that hold up to two bicycles. If you wish to use the bike rack, signal the driver that you are going to the front of the bus. You're responsible for loading and unloading your bicycle but it's a convenient way to get around town when you need to or to add exercise to your commute. (See the Transportation and Parking's Bikes On Shuttles website for handy tips for loading and unloading your bicycle from a shuttle bus.)
ZIPCAR is available here at the University of Rochester River Campus. This is another great program for those who qualify to use one of the four vehicles we have on site to get out and about in the Rochester area. To qualify, your student status will be confirmed and you must be at least 18 and have three years of driving experience with minimal or no points on your license. The hourly rate for vehicle rental is $7.00 per hour and includes all gas and insurance coverage. To find out more and apply for the UR discount membership rate of $35 go to www.zipcar.com/rochester/apply/.
NOTE: You will not see the option to select the $35 membership fee when completing your application until you actually enter the UR rate page. All information is verified here at the UR to confirm you are actually a current UR student. For this program you will need a valid credit card and a valid email address. Please note that the billing address for your credit card is where your ZIPCAR card will be sent.