Flag Display in Hirst Lounge
The flags displayed in Hirst Lounge represent the countries of international students sponsored for study, the sovereign nations of Native American students, the United States and its territories. This display is updated annually to represent the current student population at the University of Rochester.
Process for Yearly Display Update:
By the 3rd week in September, updated information will be submitted to the Director of Wilson Commons.
- ISO will provide a list of international students sponsored for study
- Registrar will provide a list of US territories and sovereign nations
Wilson Commons will purchase new flags and update the display by October 15th following the University Flag Display protocol.
- There are three separate displays for international flags, Native American nation flags, and U.S. territories
- International flags will be displayed in alphabetical order according the the country’s English name.
- Native American nations flags are displayed in alphabetical order.
- U.S. territories are displayed in the order of admission to the union.
The International Education Week committee will take the lead on any kind of celebration related to the flag display.