Wilson Commons Policies
Access to Wilson Commons
- To unload and load supplies for events in Wilson Commons, the designated location is the loading dock off of Library Road. Please put on your hazard lights while at the dock.
- Vehicles cannot remain at the loading dock during events and must be relocated.
Red Cart Usage
To borrow the Red Cart, you must:
- Be a member of a registered student group or a staff member in the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Use the Red Cart for the purposes of that group.
- Leave your ID card and phone number with the Common Connection.
- Return the cart within three hours unless prior arrangements have been made with Event and Classroom Management.
- If the cart is returned damaged, a damage fee may be assessed.
- If the cart is not returned, there is a $300 replacement cost.
- While we make every effort to accommodate requests, the cart is not reserveable and is available on a first-come first-serve basis. There are certain times where the cart may not be available for use.
- Event and Classroom Management may call to reclaim a cart currently in use.
If you have any questions regarding these policies, please contact the Director of Wilson Commons.
There are four pianos located in Wilson Commons - Gowen Room, May Room, Havens Lounge, and WC 503. The Gowen Room, May Room, and Havens Lounge pianos can be used if the room is not reserved for an event or meeting. The pianos may not be used while Event and Classroom Management is setting up for an event. No drinks are allowed on the pianos. If there is an issue with a piano, please report it to the Common Connection
3rd Floor Lounge Chalkboard Policy
- To reserve the 3rd Floor Lounge Chalkboard in Wilson Commons, please submit a request using the online 3rd Floor Lounge Chalkboard Request Form located on the Forms Tab on the WCSA website. Please click on the following link for the 3rd Floor Lounge Chalkboard Form. All 3rd Floor Lounge Chalkboard requests are to be submitted at least 5 business days prior to the start of the requested reservation date. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-serve basis. Upon approval, a confirmation email will be sent to the individual who submitted the initial request. In the case the request cannot be accommodated, an email will be sent to the individual who submitted the initial request. Please be aware that groups are not guaranteed use of the chalkboard.
- The 3rd Floor Lounge Chalkboard is exclusively available by WCSA recognized student groups and University departments. Chalking by an unrecognized group or outside entity will be erased. The chalkboard is reserved in 1 week time slots. Groups, organizations, and departments can use the chalkboard to promote singular or a large amount of events and activities.
- Confirmed organizations and departments must use chalk provided by WCSA. Chalk may be picked up and returned to the Common Connection.
- All displays must clearly state the sponsoring organization/department.
- Student organization displays must be approved by the adviser before they chalk.
- Wilson Commons Student Activities is not responsible for the erasing or tampering of information. However, chalking of any content that is deemed inappropriate by WCSA will be removed immediately. Inappropriate content includes drug paraphernalia and slanderous language.
- All chalking will be erased by midnight on the last day of the reservation.
Outside Vendor Table Request Policy
- A table may be scheduled by submitting the online Off-Campus Table Request Form on the Wilson Commons Student Activities website.
- Off-campus constituents may only request dates and times during the academic year. Off-campus constituents may request a maximum of two time slots per day requested which includes 9am-2pm, 2pm-7pm, or 7pm-midnight Sunday-Saturday.
- Off-campus constituents may request a maximum of 5 days per month for vending purposes.
- Once the form is approved, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided by the person who submitted the form.
- There is a fee of $30 a day. This fee will be invoiced to the person who submitted the form at the end of the confirmed vending period. Checks should be made payable to the University of Rochester. This fee must be paid regardless of whether or not there are any sales made. Cancellations must be communicated 48 hours before the start of the reservation date.
- All off-campus constituents must stay at the designated vendor table at all times and be present during the length of the reservation. NO SOLICITATION is allowed anywhere else in Wilson Commons.
- The standard set-up is ONE five-foot table and two chairs. Use of any other tables or chairs in the area is strictly prohibited. Any additional equipment needed to display items must fit on the five-foot table or the immediate area surrounding the table. Any display used in the surrounding area that is deemed as blocking a fire egress will be asked to be removed.
- No posters, banners, or materials may be hung from the ceiling or walls.
- Off-campus constituents may not advertise, promote, or sell credit cards.
- Wilson Commons Student Activities will not and cannot tolerate the selling of any unlicensed, counterfeit, or bootleg merchandise, candles, incense, or any item with an open flame, all upward-facing bowl lamps, decorative string lights, or flammable room decorations.
- Items that advertise or promote alcohol or other drugs may not be sold in Wilson Commons. Vendors selling such items will be asked to leave immediately.
- No overnight storage is available. Off-campus constituents are responsible to bring and remove their merchandise at the beginning and end of each confirmed day. Off-campus constituents must contact the Wilson Commons Student Activities office (585-275-9390) at least a day before to discuss proper unloading procedures.
- It is the sole responsibility of the off-campus constituent to secure parking on the University campus. Contact the River Campus Parking Office at 585-275-3983.
- Wilson Commons will provide ONE free vendor table to any Boys or Girls Scout Troop per semester. Any additional vendor tables requested will carry the $30 fee per additional day.
- Off-campus constituents accept checks and credit cards at their own risk. Wilson Commons will not assume responsibility for students' accounts, and will not release personal information.
Flex Table Policy
Flex tables are available as a simple way to fundraise for your club or organization. Wilson Commons has four (4) available flex tables. Two (2) are located on the second floor of Wilson Commons. The remaining two (2) are located on the 1st floor of Wilson Commons next to the Common Market. The following policies are provided to facilitate the request process.
- To reserve a flex table in Wilson Commons, please submit a request using the online Flex Table Request Form located on the Forms Tab on the WCSA website. The Flex Table Request form link will redirect you to the CCC, please login and complete the required fields. All flex table requests are to be submitted at least 5 business days prior to the start of the requested reservation date. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-serve basis. Upon approval, a confirmation email will be sent to the individual who submitted the initial request. In the case the request cannot be accommodated, an email will be sent to the individual who submitted the initial request. Please be aware that groups are not guaranteed a flex table.
- Requests are accepted beginning on August 15 for the Fall semester and November 15 for the Spring semester. Reservations will not be confirmed prior to those dates. Please be aware that submission of a reservation request does not guarantee a confirmation. Requests will be fulfilled based on availability and an organization's standing. Confirmations will be emailed to the requestor.
- A flex table confirmation includes the use of the flex machine and the corresponding table. There is no need for a separate table request.
- Student groups are limited to 2 separate rental use periods per semester. Flex machines can be reserved for a maximum of 5 days. A fee of $3.00/day will be assessed (please refer to #9 for details regarding payment of fees). Student groups who have a confirmed flex reservation may store supplies at the Common Connection as long as they fit within the bin designated for that flex table.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: The group must notify the Wilson Commons staff members by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 business days in advance if the flex table will not be used on a particular day or if the group intends to cancel the rental in its entirety, otherwise the rental agreement will be considered null and the group's rental privileges for the remainder of the semester will be suspended. Additionally, the group will still be responsible for paying the usage fee and this fee must be paid to gain privilege of the Flex Machines for the following semester.
- Flex tables are NOT to be used for admission tickets, dues, or tickets of any kind.
- Any loss, damage or vandalism during your use to the unit, case or key is the responsibility of the group using it and will be charged based on the cost for repair or replacement (not to exceed $3,000.00). Any of the above circumstances must be reported immediately to the Wilson Commons Building Manager. Below is a list of fines per damage:
- Usage fee of $3.00/day for improper cancellation of rental
- $50 lost or damaged key replacement
- $100 damaged Containment Box replacement
- A confirmation of a flex table is for the designated flex table and the ability to purchase can only occur at the designated table. Individuals staffing the table may not solicit anywhere else in Wilson Commons. At least one representative from the student organization or department to whom the reservation was confirmed must be present during use: NO exceptions
- Funds collected from the transaction will be available within 30 days after the final day of the reservation. A rental fee of $3/day will be attached and deducted from the earnings. Earnings will be automatically transferred into the account of organizations that have an account in the SAAC office. All other organizations can pick up their checks from the SAAC office on the 2nd Thursday of each month. If the earnings do not exceed the fees owed, the organization is still responsible for the fees and must pay the fee prior to the organizations next Flex reservation.
Info tables are available as a simple way to promote your club's or organization's activities. Info tables can be reserved for a maximum of 8 consecutive days. There are 4 info tables available in Wilson Commons. You may only provide information to patrons of Wilson Commons at the assigned info table. You many not solicit anywhere else in Wilson Commons.