Commission on Women and Gender Equity in Academia
Purpose and Charge
To lead the University of Rochester community in researching and recommending gender equitable policies and practices that promote a culture of respect, inclusiveness, and equal opportunity for individuals across the gender spectrum.
Specific to the academic settings of the University of Rochester, the Commission’s charge is to:
- Assess the status of individuals across the gender spectrum, but with particular attention to women and LGBTQI+ members. Assess how current policies, practices, norms, and campus climate affect their experience in positive and negative ways.
- Identify shortfalls and exemplars regarding the University’s performance in establishing and achieving gender equity goals within a structure of power that places some individuals across all gender identities in positions of vulnerability.
- Propose strategies to implement best practices that are nondiscriminatory based on gender and will contribute to institutionalizing gender equity throughout the university.
- Be accountable to the University of Rochester community for presenting fair and independent findings.
- Educate the University of Rochester community (e.g., students, faculty, staff, alumni) to promote the institutionalization of gender equity and improvements in the status of women and LGBTQI+ individuals at the University.
- Remain active as a Commission to monitor implementation of our recommendations.