The Pride Alliance at the University of Rochester is an employee resource group dedicated to creating and sustaining a positive work environment which values and supports all individuals regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression.
Working in association with the University’s Office of Human Resources: Multicultural Affairs and Inclusion, the goal of the Pride Alliance is to empower employees to interact in an open and honest manner, without fear, and to create an environment that is respectful of all employees.
Mission and Objectives
- Foster an environment that is supportive and respectful of all University employees, students, patients and guests, without regard to their sexual orientation or gender expression.
- Empower employees across the LGBTQI+ spectrum and their allies to respond to – and resolve – issues which prevent the full use of their capabilities and/or detract from the quality of their work lives.
- Increase the visibility of LGBTQI+ staff, faculty, residents, and fellows within the University community.
- Advocate the recruitment, retention and career advancement of LGBTQI+ employees.
- Serve as role models to LGBTQI+ students, patients and the Rochester community.
- Support the diversity mission of the University through innovative relationships with the LGBTQI+ student and alumni groups, other affinity groups, and with other LGBTQI+-friendly organizations throughout our institution and the community.
LGBTQI Friendly Workplace?
An Inclusive Community
The University of Rochester envisions itself as a community that welcomes, encourages, and supports individuals who desire to contribute to and benefit from the institution’s missions of teaching, research, patient care, performance, and community service. In a pluralistic culture, that community includes faculty, students, and staff who represent important differences. The University is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees, without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation.
Policies and Benefits
The University covers domestic partners regardless of sexual orientation in many of its policies including: Family Medical Leave Act; Death in the Immediate Family or Household; Postponement of Promotion or Tenure Review; Modified Duties for New Parents. Domestic partners can be enrolled in some benefit plans, including health, dental, life insurance and tuition benefits.
University of Rochester’s employee health care plans include transition-related health care benefits for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals.
Gender Transition Guidelines
The purpose of these documents is to provide guidelines of responsibilities and expectations of employees, their supervisors, colleagues and other staff.
Healthcare Equality Index
In 2008, Strong Memorial Hospital, at the University of Rochester Medical Center, was one of only 88 participating hospitals from across the country that responded to the Healthcare Equality Index. This report produced by the Human Rights Campaign and the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association measures how equitably hospitals in the United States treat their LGBT patients and employees. The University has continued to respond to the Healthcare Equality Index ever since, continuing our commitment to creating a safe and welcoming environment for all patients and employees.
Safe Space is a training initiative intended to create a safer and freer environment for all members of the University community regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. The goal of the program is to provide training to faculty, staff, and students that will qualify them to display a small “Safe Space” sign in their workspaces. The signs will identify trained allies who are available to answer questions or engage in discussions about LGBT issues.
Board Members and Executive Champion
Carli Gaughf, M.A. (she/her)
URMC Office of Learning and Development
Jonathan Wetherbee (he/him)
UR Medicine Employee Wellness
Senior Vice president for Administration and Finance
Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer.